Part 2:The chase begins

~Make sure you add the book to your library so you can see when it is updated.

She had to think quickly. Should she hide the body or let the police get involved? With the second option, someone might understand that something was odd with the case. She didn't want to attract attention to the supernatural world. But then she thought that this girl might have a family and friends that cared for her. She couldn't let them believe their daughter disappeared with no notice.

Those thoughts left her with one choice only: she messed with the murder scene, making it look like a robbery that went wrong, and hoped that the authorities could believe it.

She took the money from her wallet and the girl's clutch, which she would later empty near a bin and throw it there. She noticed that under her nails, there was some blood, probably from the killer. The forensic team would test it and would start making questions about what kind of human could have no blood cells or any other cells. So, she cleaned her nails carefully and focused on the bite.

Two small holes were made, at the left side of her neck, a few centimeters above the collarbone. She wiped the drops of blood around the bite and slightly touched the girl's skin. In a few seconds, the tiny holes were gone. Under other circumstances, she wouldn't be able to do it. Her healing powers worked only on living beings. Thankfully she wasn't dead for long, and her powers could work on the still-warm body.

Last but not least, she needed a cause of death. She marked that her head was on top of some old bricks, who knows how long they were there. The girl had hit her head while falling due to the blood loss. Some blood was indeed making a lake around the brick.

''That would do,'' she hoped. The police wouldn't find a robber, of course, but this was no longer her problem. She felt sorry for the young girl, but there was nothing more to be done for her now.

She picked up her things, made sure she hadn't left any trail of hers behind and went on with her patrol after executing every part of her plan. It was 4.30 AM when she glanced at her watch a little later.

''Sara must be home,'' she thought and hurried to their dorm.

She was right. Her friend was already asleep, sprawled on her bed, with one leg outside the blanket. Laurel knew that she would stay asleep for hours and that she would not wake up until 10 in the morning. She drank a glass of water and looked at her reflection in the mirror of the bathroom.

Her usually spotless skin was dirty with sweat and dust. Her cheeks were flushed from running all night, and her pale lips made her look like a ghost with rouge.

Dark circles were fully discerned under her champagne brown eyes, and her sight made her turn away. She was too tired, but she couldn't stop. Thankfully her genes and her healing powers could help with her look.

She sipped the last drop of water and, with her other hand, cleaned her face with a towel.

She left the empty glass on a counter and sat on the floor to think. The marks of the vampire and the way the bite was done didn't seem familiar to her. She knew the most known and prominent clans of vampires, and each of them had their signature. It wasn't one of their victims.

Older vampires were careful and didn't leave blood around their bites. The angle of the wound indicated a blood-thirsty vampire. The murderer was impatient, and the reason behind his murder wasn't his hunger. He wanted to kill.

''It must be a loner, then. The most dangerous of their kind,'' she thought.

Vampires who lived on their own could be extremely dangerous. They didn't live under laws or other norms, and they could easily snap and start a killing spree. She knew that unless she found the killer soon, she should expect another victim and then a pile of them. She needed help, and all her colleagues were in different parts of the world chasing their perpetrators.

She took a small breath and closed her eyes. She would find the killer and make him meet his maker. That girl deserved justice, and Laurel would do the same thing she had done multiple times in the past. After making sure that Sara was still sleeping, she got up, and with a knife in her hand under her sleeve, she left the building and started walking.

The moon was high in the sky. Somewhere far away, a wolf howled. She was alone, or so she thought. A pair of red eyes were watching her through the shadows, hiding behind the trees.

 A pair of red eyes were watching her through the shadows, hiding behind the trees