Part 21:The cave (2)

''Be with you.''

Those were her words, and his heart warmed. It was the first time that she said something like that. Last night, he had received a strange call from Thomas. He met him in the woods, curious to know the reason behind his secrecy and his urgent need to meet with him. Thomas explained his relationship with Laurel and how valuable she was to him. He told him to believe her and understand her because fate and life hadn't treated her fairly.

James, however, didn't need anyone's reassurance. His soul knew that his feelings for Laurel were never gone, not even at his darkest moments. His soul and heart were fighting. The first one yearning for love and ready to take a step towards Laurel. The second one was still in pain and hadn't completely forgiven the young woman.

No matter how harsh she was, he realized that his words had hurt his mate. He called her a monster and unworthy while his darker self was coming out of the shadows.

They both needed redemption and forgiveness. Laurel for her actions and James for the dark thoughts and words that conquered his mind.

If she, the great huntress, could beg for forgiveness and admit her true feelings, then he could accept her back and rewrite their future.

''How can I help you?'' he asked her.

''Every time I use magic, I drain my energy. Every witch is a source of energy, but it's not endless. We get tired after a while, and then we must rest to replenish our energy. Many things can provide us with energy when we need it. Magic stones, ancient monuments, places of importance, or supernatural creatures. You are an Alpha and my mate. Therefore you are the best source of energy right now.''

James chuckled, and his whole face lit up.

''If I knew that an endless climbing on a mountain would make you acknowledge that we are mates, I would make us come here sooner.''

''Don't get too excited,'' she said with a serious face, but her eyes were smiling playfully.

She explained to everyone that there was still a chance that it might not work and made them make some steps behind. She faced the huge wall, she made her muscles relax, and James took his position behind her putting his hands at each side of her head as she instructed him.

She felt her whole body reacting to his touch and his immense energy collapsed onto hers, creating waves of energy that overwhelmed her. She raised her hands in front of her chest, at the height of her heart, and directed the energy there. She saw tiny sparks at first and then a few rays of light. Time had stopped, the earth had stopped moving, everything changed, and everything stayed the same. She saw the sun and looked directly at it without fear of being blinded. His touch was the reassurance and the comfort she needed, and for once, she was grateful that she had let some emotions take over.

Between her hands, a ball of light, a small sun, was created, which got bigger and bigger. The others closed their eyes, but she kept looking at its center. She felt her body heating and a strong fire that ran inside her, but that only made her focus more. She was strong and powerful. She was unstoppable.

A buzz started that gradually became stronger. The next thing she saw was the pile of stones crumbling down and disappearing, leaving no trace that they once stood there.

''You did it!'' Lena cheered and hugged her the moment James took his hands off Laurel.

''I did it,'' she said while letting herself enjoy the moment. Rays and beams of light were all around them, illuminating the cave and pointing towards its core.

''Let's go,'' James said, and they started walking.

Soon they came face to face with another problem. The path was split into three different ones, and they didn't know which to follow.