Part 18:Time to talk

It was 8 pm, and Laurel and her friends were at Thomas's house, making sure everything was ready. There were notepads, books, and parchments scattered everywhere, and Zach's laptop was turned on, ready to assist. Asher was almost asleep, his head lying on the table. Lena and Thomas still had some energy, but they felt their eyelids heavy. Chloe was resting her legs on Zach's lap, who was writing something on his tablet. Only Laurel was standing, walking, relentlessly, and talking.

''We have reviewed the plan tons of times this past week,'' Chloe complained.

''We need sleep,'' Lena suggested.

''At least you will sleep during the ride. We have research to do,'' Asher complained.

''Guys! Focus!'' Laurel said and clapped to get their attention. ''Don't be like that. We don't know what may happen. We need to be ready for everything.''

''Laurel, I love you, you know that. But they are right. We all need rest. It's been a while since this craziness started. We barely sleep for three hours every day. You and Asher go to classes every day, and we stay here collecting equipment, things you need for your potions, reading ancient books and parchments in ancient languages, and then you two come here, and we train as if there is no tomorrow. It's okay. We need rest.''

Laurel saw five pairs of eyes looking at her desperately.

''Fine, maybe I'm too harsh, but I am worried. I don't know what we'll find at the cave, and I need to be sure that Chloe, Zach, and Asher are prepared for a possible attack since they will stay here.''

''We understand you are scared, but there is no need for you to worry about things you can't control. I'll make some hot cocoa,'' Chloe offered. ''Hot cocoa can help in any situation'', she said and headed to the kitchen.

''I'll go back to campus,'' Asher said. ''I'll be back tomorrow noon,'' he informed Zach, who simply nodded. ''Are you coming, Laurel?''

''No, there is something I need to do.''

Asher nodded and chose not to pressure her into telling him. He hugged her tight and wished Lena and Thomas good luck. Zach headed upstairs, and Lena cleared off the table from the pile of books and parchments.

''Where are you going, wolfie?''

''I need to talk to him. I respected him and gave him space, but I haven't heard from Alex, and I need to see him tonight. If something happens in that cave, I need to know that he knows the truth.''

''Do you want me to come with you?''

''No, thank you. You have already done more than enough. I can handle it. I'll go to campus after that to speak with Sara, and I'll come back here in time to go.''

''Okay, be careful, wolfie.''

''I will.''

Laurel was at the borders of the Blue Moon pack. This time she was sure of her whereabouts. Two wolves appeared in front of her, growling.

''Is your Beta with you? I need to talk to him. My name is Laurel.''

The wolves kept growling until Alex and another man, who stood next to him, appeared from the shadows.

''It's fine. I know her,'' Alex said reassuringly to the wolves, and they left obeying their Beta. ''I told you to wait.''

''It's been a while. I need to talk to him.''

''He doesn't want to talk to you.''

''Let him tell me that himself,'' she said and crossed her arms in front of her chest.