Part 38: Game on

"Take care of the pack. Chris will help if you need anything, but I know that you can handle it." James pulled his little sister in a tight hug for a few seconds before kissing her forehead.

Their foreheads touched, and they closed their eyes. He put his hands on each side of her face and kissed her forehead one last time.

"I love you, big brother. Don't worry about me. The pack is safe." She put her bravest smile on.

He nodded in agreement and went to speak with Chris. He was the captain of the patrol team and one of the few warrior leaders of the pack that were left behind. The pack wouldn't be unprotected. Rogues and other enemies lurked in the shadows, waiting for a moment of weakness.

According to the original plan, Liz would go to the battle and fight alongside her family, while Tyler would stay behind as the authority figure. However, after the news of Liz's pregnancy and the doctor's advice, the plan changed. She carried the future beta of the pack, and the baby had to be protected at all costs.

"Bring back my brother. Don't let him sacrifice himself. I know he will put himself in unnecessary danger if one of his people is endangered, but you will save him. No matter what, James must return to this pack and lead."

"James won't die. I'll do everything to prevent it."

The two women didn't have many chances to bond, but the chemistry between them came effortlessly. In the short span of weeks, Liz and Laurel, the double L's as James called them, realized that they had a similar way of thinking. The people they loved were precious, and they would do everything to save them, even if that meant losing themselves.

Laurel loved the close relationship between James and his sister and how supportive she was, and yet, she wasn't afraid to scold him when he made mistakes. For everyone, Alpha James was a powerful, righteous authority figure, but for Liz, he was the funny, adorable big brother.

Liz saw the small changes in James' personality since he met Laurel. He was always caring, but around her, parts of his heart lightened magically. He was stronger with her, and most importantly, there was only light in his eyes.

Laurel hugged her and, with a final smile, got into the car.

Lastly, Alex came to his mate. They had said their goodbyes long before, but he couldn't leave her.

He stared at her without speaking.

"I know," she said. "You don't have to say anything."

"I love you. Both of you." He caressed her belly and planted the last kiss on her lips.

"I love you, too."

Everyone got in the cars, and the engines turned on.

Liz, Chris, and the rest of the pack that came to salute waved to them. It wasn't goodbye. Many warriors, men, and women would die that night, but the pack would withstand. The world would survive, and the families of the dead would know that their people died, giving their children a safer place to live.

It was a two-hour drive until their destination. They wanted to arrive early so that they could have a clearer view of the place and the situation. Zach had believed that the enemy's army would be there for days before the full moon. Therefore, there was no element of surprise in their arrival. However, they could surprise them with their strategy.

James, Laurel, and Thomas were in the same car with Alan and John. Both men were outstanding warriors and had helped them in various situations. They knew Laurel and Thomas very well since the cave incident.

Alan was driving, and James was sitting in the front seat.

"Will Lena be okay?" John asked.

"She kept blaming herself, but there was nothing to be done. They were prepared and had probably used a potion to silence their steps and cover their smell. I couldn't have done anything more than her if I was in her place," Laurel explained.