Part 39: Sacrifice

Not long after the fight started, the white, smooth ground was spoiled with red spots and dead bodies. The clang of the swords mixed with the vampire hisses and the werewolf claws that bit into the enemy's flesh. Here and there, a few warriors screamed in pain, as hands removed hearts and swords beheaded bodies.

Laurel had one of her dha swords in her right hand, and the other hand was free to be used for magic. She was walking toward her mother, her heartbeat ringing louder as the distance between them diminished.

A vampire came into her vision from the left, his fangs in open view, his red eyes wide in lust for blood. She couldn't stop, so with a switch of her wrist, she sent the vampire flying backward. He fell on the trunk of a tree and, soon, a werewolf came and put a wooden stake in his heart.

She saw Thomas fighting a few meters beside her, as an enemy attacked her. It was a werewolf, turned into his wolf form. She preferred fighting in her human form, as she was at her strongest then, but she knew very well how to fight him.

He leaped at her, his eyes shimmering furiously. She bent her knees and waited. Seconds before he could slice her face with his claws, she raised the sword and, holding its grip with both of her hands, impaled it in his head in the middle of his eyes. She removed the sword quickly, the blade dark red. His eyes stayed immobile, and his body looked as if it was flying for a second before it fell with a bang.

She started walking carefully, trying not to trip over scattered bodies.

A few vampires came running at her together. She beheaded the first one in a swift movement and bent down in time to avoid a hit from behind. She kicked her opponent hard, and he fell to the ground. Thomas appeared and pierced the heart with his sword. Laurel had enhanced his weapons. She had tried to do it to as many warriors as possible.

They gave a knowing nod and ended the rest of the vampires.

"We are close," she said. "She's not far."

"I got your back." Laurel tried to pick up a knife that had fallen from her belt but stopped suddenly. Raising her look, she faced a familiar face.

"You are beautiful," he whispered with a fixed gaze on her.

His eyes were roaming her body. The clothes were highlighting her curves. A few, wet from sweat, strands of hair had escaped from the ponytail and fell on her forehead. Her chest was rising fast from the fight, and her body radiated life.

She lifted her head with a stony smile, and yet, her eyes were glittering in compassion.

"Charles." She sighed. "If things were different, maybe I could help you. I'm sorry I didn't save you from your demons." She gave a final nod to Thomas and left.

A desperate plead echoed behind, screaming her name and begging for her return. However, she couldn't stop. The closer she got to her mother, the more enemies she had to face. "That's it, Lyra. Let's show them what we are capable of," she said and attacked a swarm of enemies, whose death would bring her closer to her target.

"Life is unpredictable. You tried once to kill me, but, instead, my mate died. This time, none of my loved ones are close to you. Just you and me. Laurel isn't here to save you, so cut the crap. Fight!" he screamed the last part.

"All I wanted was her. I wanted her to love me. No one ever did, but she could see right through my soul." He fell on his knees, his gaze fixed on the horizon.

Thomas tightened his grip on his sword and went closer. In front of him stood the man that had stolen his happiness. This time no punishment could save him. There was only one way to end this. He didn't care about his soul. All he wanted was to end the monster that had taken Rakel from him.