Part 26:Together at last

How can a person be so power-hungry? How can someone murder his mate and use his children so brutally and evilly? How dark can someone's soul be to do all of it?

All the pieces were together and completed the puzzle that had been messing with her head and couldn't let her rest. Her father's sudden death, the supposed death of Lucy, and all the years of manipulation blended and took a new meaning.

Only one person was behind those facts: her mother. She had a plan made for years, and nothing stopped her from accomplishing it. Everyone was a pawn in her game, and her final goal was yet to be achieved. She had killed her mate with no remorse and destroyed her daughter to gain more power. She could stop at nothing.

Everyone was in danger. Her people, her mate, the world would burn, and it was her that should stop her. She had to kill her for real this time. It was time to end this nightmare. The end was coming, and she knew it. Even if it were the last thing to do before dying, she would save the world from her mother.

However, the world could wait for a few hours. Now, she needed to meet her sister. This precious little thing that she hadn't seen in the last five years. According to Max, Lucy believed that her sister was a hero, constantly traveling and fighting around the world to bring justice and hope. Laurel would never be able to pay Max back for everything he did for her sister. He protected her, and he gave her a home, safety, love, and a peaceful life away from this madness.

She was now standing on a balcony, looking at a huge garden in front of her. Lucy was playing with other kids, Max's nephews, and she seemed so happy. She wore her long, silky hair into a ponytail, and she wore a colorful dress. She had the necklace their father had given to her, and the bracelet Laurel had brought her one day. Five years lost. How could she win back the lost time?

She hadn't realized that she was sobbing, big tears running down her cheeks. Her lips were trembling, and she had no idea what to say to Lucy. This kid had spent her childhood waiting for her, and she had to meet her, only for Laurel to leave her again. She couldn't bring Lucy back home, at least not yet.

Laurel had asked James and Max to leave her alone, and the two men had gone to have lunch and talk about business. She couldn't eat. She felt like throwing up, but she eventually left the room and marched to the garden. Lucy was in her eyesight, laughing and kicking a ball.

"Lucy," she managed to say with eyes full of tears.

The young girl turned her head and stopped playing. A huge smile brightened her whole face, and with no second thought, ran and fell hard in her sister's arms.

"I missed you so much! Uncle Max said I had to be patient, but it took you so long!" Lucy said, hugging her sister as if her life depended on it.

"I'm so sorry, my love. I wish I could come here sooner," she said and broke into tears.

Lucy showed her sister her room, her toys, her books, and her paintings. She showed her pictures with uncle Max and her friends, their excursions at the forest, and their visit to the nearby villages.

"I learned Japanese and Mandarin. My Korean isn't very good, but uncle Max is very patient. He says I'm very good at learning new languages just like you."

"Are you happy here?" she asked, changing the subject.

"Very much, but I miss you. I also miss our dad. I see him in my dreams sometimes," she answered melancholically.

"I miss him, too. However, you shouldn't forget that our people never truly leave us. As long as we keep them in our hearts, they never leave our side," she said and kissed her forehead.

"What took you so long? She didn't let you see me, right?"

"It's a long story. I promise to explain, but right now, I am just happy that I'm here with you. I've been through a lot, but thinking of you and your smile and your beautiful flowers has kept sane. I wish we hadn't lost all those years, but I'll do my best from now on."

"Laurel, I don't want to go back to her. She's mean," said the young girl, scared and worried, referring to their mother.

"Don't worry about that, sweetheart. You don't have to see her again. I'm here now, and no one will harm you."

"How long will you stay?"

"I must go tomorrow. There is a job I must finish. When it is done, I'll get you from here, we will live together, and no one will make you sad again."

"I don't want you to leave," she burst into tears and clung onto Laurel.

"It won't be for long. I don't want to leave you, but here you are safe, and I can't worry about your life, too."

"I can fight. I can help you," the little girl said looking at her sister's face with watery eyes and a pained expression.

"You will help me if you stay here. I promise to call you every day. How does that sound?"

"Alright. Remember that you promised."

"I keep my promises. Now," she said, got up and extended her arm to Lucy, "there is someone I want you to meet. Someone very special to me."

It was long past midnight, and Lucy had finally fallen asleep after hours of playing with Laurel and James, whom she adored from the first second. She made her sister promise multiple times that they would talk every day and that she wouldn't forget her, and fell asleep in her sister's arms.

Laurel left her room and went to her bedroom, which she shared with James. She entered, took off her shoes, and put them next to their bags that were open. She heard the water running in the shower. She locked the bedroom door and opened the windows so that fresh air could get in. She took off her jacket and drank a glass of water. The water of the shower stopped running, and the door opened.

He stood there for a few seconds, half-naked, with water dripping on his skin. Her eyes flashed with desire, while she stared at his abs and his muscled arms. She returned her look at his captivating eyes, unable to look anywhere but at him.

James started walking towards her, a white towel around his waist, leaving his chest bare and wet. He placed his hands at each side of her head and kissed her deeply, while small drops of water were flowing from his skin to hers. She removed her shirt, unbuttoning it slowly and let it drop on the floor. She kissed him back while his hands grabbed her waist and unbuckled her bra.

Their chests, both bare, now touched, sending warmth and electrifying them. She unbuckled her trousers and, putting her right hand on his chest, she pushed him behind and made him fall on the bed. She removed her pants and was left in her underwear. He watched her walking seductively towards him and hopping onto the bed, putting her legs at his sides. She rested her hands on his chest and started kissing him with hunger and lust. Their eyes turned black with lust, and their breaths changed. Her whole body was on fire, and her skin shivered under his touch.

In a swift move, he swirled and came on top of her, planting kisses all around her torso, touching her and tracing with his thumb every curve of her body, as if trying to make a map of it. Her body radiated a smell of roses, and her silky skin seemed like a feather under his fingers. She arched her back and closed her eyes, letting herself get lost in his smell and their mixing breaths. Their senses were heightened because they could feel their body reacting, but they could also feel the other's senses powering up like fireworks.

He removed her underwear and threw it on the floor along with the towel. She reached out for his hair and grabbed it roughly, bringing him as close as possible. This was their night. No interruptions, no catastrophes, just them and their need to be together.

The open window brought the smell of wildflowers and a light breeze that made their skin shiver. A moan escaped from her lips and made him continue. They were one body, one heart, one soul. The world would burn, and they would be happy, for they had this one night when their bodies united as their souls had a long time ago.