Part 15:Broken hearts and new possibilities

''Your sister wasn't murdered.''

The phrase kept repeating itself in her head, confusing her. How could that be? She saw her dead body. She had buried her and mourned and avenged her. Her mother was there, crying for her lost child. Why would her mother lie about this? But Charles was also right: he never lied to her. No matter how twisted and sick their relationship was, he was always telling her the truth. ''He just wants to save himself,'' said Lyra. ''Maybe. But that doesn't mean he is lying,'' she answered.

''Do you have proof?'' she asked loudly.

''I do. I have evidence that your sister was alive at least a year ago.''

''I want it.''

''Firstly, you must remove the sword, it's hurting me, and I don't want it to pierce me at a sudden move.''

She removed the sword but stayed close to him, ready to finish what she started.

''Why would my mother lie to me?''

''I don't know.''

''How do you know she lied?''

''She knew your sister was alive. She made a sleeping spell at your sister and made her look dead. It was all an act, Laurel.''

''Why now? Why tell me that now?''

''I don't want to die. There is so much for us to live.''

''This is the last time I let you go. If you lied to me, I'll make you wish you were in hell!" She growled.

She heard footsteps, people running to them.

''Leave before I change my mind,'' she told him, and he left through the shadows.

''She's okay!'' a bruised Chloe exclaimed. Her friends surrounded her.

''Where is Charles?'' Thomas asked.

''I let him go.''

''What? Why? Are you insane?'' four people asked at the same time.

''How could you leave this monster run away?'' Thomas's heart was filled with anger.

''He said something.'' Her voice was low and the tip of the sword was touching the ground.

''He always tries to mess with your head.''

''No, Lena. I trust my instinct. It tells me to hear him out.''

''What did he say?''

''He said that Lucy is alive. She was never murdered, and my mother made me in purpose to believe she died.''

Her lips trembled and the sword felt heavy in her hand.

''But you saw her body,'' Thomas said, trying to comprehend what he had heard.

''It was an illusion, my mother's magic.''

''Why would she do that?''

''I don't know,'' she said, shrugging her shoulders. She put her sword in its case and started walking, leaving her friends behind.

''Where are you going?''

''We need to clean our mess. We can't leave the others deal with the bodies.''

''Do you understand what the news means?'' Lena asked in concern.

''You think I don't?'' Laurel snapped. ''I did terrible things in the name of revenge! I murdered people, I tortured them, and I burned them. I destroyed villages trying to avenge the killers of my sister, and I used dark magic! It cost me everything! My life, my soul, everything!'' she screamed. ''If my sister is alive, it means it was all in vain. I was created to stop the monsters, but instead, I became the worst. I let myself be broken, used, manipulated to destroy, and if that wasn't enough, I had to reject my mate. My heart bleeds, and my body has a hole, and you want me to think what? That I shouldn't have? I did it to protect him from myself, first of all, when I was never supposed to turn into what I am.''