Part 7:The eye of the cyclone

"Oh, stop it. The last thing I need is you complaining," said Laurel internally to her wolf.

"Tim!" she exclaimed. "I didn't see you."

He was standing in front of her, a few books in his arms. The funny look on his face proved that he understood that something was wrong with Laurel.

''Well, obviously." He arranged his glasses better on his nose. "Are you okay? Sara told me you've been gone all night."

"Just tired. I spent all night at the library, studying, and I fell asleep on the book."

"I see." He pulled the books closer to his body and looked at her nervously as if he was deciding whether he should say something more. "Anyway, you should see Sara. She's worried about the robbery and all."

"I will. Tim?" she asked as he was ready to leave the building.

"Yes?" he asked with one hand on the door, ready to push it open.

The books in his arms were in a strange position, and Laurel was certain that they would soon fall to the ground. Tim wasn't famous for his athletic abilities.

"Did the police find something new?"

"No, still nothing. Hopefully, everything will be settled soon," he answered with optimism.

"Yeah." She wished she was as optimistic as Tim, but that wasn't going to happen. "Be careful with those books. They look heavy." 

Tim nodded thankfully and left while she headed to her room.

The moment she opened the door, she was welcomed with a tight hug from Sara.

"Hey, cutie-pie. . . I can't breathe," she mumbled, unable to move.

For some strange reason, when Sara was excited, her hugs were so powerful that they could knock the wind out of Laurel's lungs.

"Oh, sorry." Sara released her. "Don't you dare scare me like that!" she added and hit Laurel at her upper arm.

"Ouch!" Laurel reacted and rubbed her arm even though Sara's hit hadn't caused her pain.

She always remembered to keep the pretenses around humans. 

"You deserve it." She shrugged and went to sit on her bed.

"I was at the library all night. I fell asleep on the book."

"Laurel, I know you don't like to talk about yourself, but I see you. You are acting strange, you don't sleep, you leave at night, and now," -Sara made an indefinite gesture into the air and finished her movement pointing to Laurel- "this. What is happening? I want to help."

"I told you. I'm stressed about the paper. No need to worry," she said and tried to comfort her.

"I'm still not convinced," she murmured but hugged her friend nevertheless.

"Sara? I need some advice."

"Tell me." She patted the space next to her, and Laurel sat down.

Laurel cleared her throat, "If there was someone who liked you-"

"OMG!" she screamed. "You have a boyfriend? That's why you are acting like that?" Sara screamed again in joy and started jumping. "How could I not understand it? Of course, it makes sense!" she kept mumbling to herself.

"Hey, earth to Sara! Calm down. No, I don't have a boyfriend. Hypothetically speaking."

Sara's excitement immediately cooled down, and she stopped smiling.