Part 31: The last dinner

It was four days before the full moon, and everyone was occupied with multiple tasks. Max's men would arrive the following day, and Lena had arrived early in the morning.

It had been very challenging to enter the country and, later, the pack without being noticed, but she knew how to hide and blend with her surroundings like a chameleon. Slowly and carefully, she reached her former house. She met her brother, whose face and posture had changed since she had last seen him. He wasn't aggressive or angry like she thought he would be but moderately exhausted and overwhelmed.

He explained to her how much things had changed. He had a family, now, but that didn't make him happier. Instead, he was more miserable than ever. Their mother had turned into a genuine dictator, stopping at nothing and constantly blackmailing him with his mate's life.

''I need you, Lena. You were always stronger than me. I failed our father and surrendered at the first difficulty.''

Lena realized that her brother needed her. She saw the terror in his eyes, and she heard his tired voice. A part of her heart couldn't forgive him for not fighting for her when they declared her a traitor, but she couldn't leave him when he most needed her. Her father had taught her how to be kind and to forgive because everyone could make mistakes.

She gathered a small group of people, the ones her brother trusted, and explained her plan to them. Her mother would return that day from her trip to a distant relative, and they would wait for her and lock her in the dungeon. Her mother had her bodyguards by her side, but Lena was more than capable and ready to take them down. Her childhood training in frozen Siberia and her battles alongside Laurel had shaped the young warrior, and she needed no help to beat the worst merciless assassins.

She promised to return after helping her friend, and her brother gave his permission to take some soldiers with her. Lena's pack wasn't saved. Her brother was in no condition to rule, and she needed to find a permanent solution to her mother's situation. They couldn't keep her in the dungeons forever, and they had to find a peaceful solution about the leadership and the organization of the pack.

Therefore, the moment she returned to the Blue Moon pack, she talked to Laurel. She explained her situation and how her pack needed her. She wanted to leave and fix everything as a tribute to her late father.

''If that is your wish, I'm not going to stop you. Remember that I'm always only one call away from you. I hope that one day I will return every single favor you've done for me.''

''We are sisters, Laurel. We may not share the same blood, but our hearts beat the same. We'll take down your mother and Charles, and then, I will fight my own demons. I owe you many things, Laurel Creed, and I'll always be grateful for the years we spend together.''

''This sounds like a goodbye,'' Laurel said and smiled, but her eyes stared in sadness.

She could feel that after the full moon, her life would change. They had spent a few years together, waking up in the same house and sleeping with hearts full of love and trust. The one year she spent studying was difficult since they weren't always together, but their lives were in sync. However, in the last couple of months, everything changed. Everyone had a path to follow, and she couldn't stop herself from noticing that their pathways didn't seem to unite.

''Then, let's say: until we meet again. I think that's more suitable.''

''Until we meet again,'' Laurel agreed and embraced her friend, trying to hide every tiny thought of sadness in the sea of hope.

''Tomorrow, the Alphas of the Half Moon pack, the Midnight pack, and the Silver Heart pack will arrive accompanied by some warriors. We must be ready to welcome them and provide them with food and beds. Remember that the threat we are about to face puts everyone in danger, but sadly, not everyone wants to admit that a witch can cause such chaos. I ask you to remember your training and follow the orders of your Beta and Gamma. We will face this threat together because we are stronger united.''