Part 19:Telling him the truth

James, at the sound of her voice, jerked up and faced her.

''What are you doing here?''

He looked at Alex and Tyler, betrayed and certain that they had allowed her to come.

''It's not their fault. I would come even if they denied helping me. We need to speak. I'm here to tell you the truth.''

''There is nothing to talk about. Leave,'' he said, staring at her eyes with a frozen look.

''I'm Liz,'' said his sister trying to relax everyone and gave Laurel a firm handshake. ''I'm James' sister.''

''I'm Laurel. Nice to meet you,'' she responded with a smile that couldn't reach her eyes.

''I've heard a lot about you.''

''I suppose it wasn't about my good heart,'' she joked.

''Go!'' James said while he raised his voice.

''Please, let's talk in private. You must know the truth.'' Laurel suddenly felt so tired and disappointed. She knew she had screwed up, but she wanted to fix it. Seeing him like that only caused her more pain.

''Why now?''

''Because tomorrow I'm leaving for someplace to find some answers. I don't know what I am about to face. For all I know, I might die or get hurt. The answers I am looking for might change my life's course. The whole world's course.''

''Nice story.''

''It's real!'' she said and made a step closer to him, but he raised his hand and stopped her. ''Let's talk in private,'' she pleaded.

''These people are my family. If there is something I need to know, then they will hear it, too.''

''Maybe we should. . . .'' Liz started to say but let her voice trail off when she saw her brother's look.

Laurel sighed and rubbed her sweaty palms together. ''This is our last chance,'' Lyra reminded her. ''Show him your soul, only that way he can believe you.''

''I am a huntress. I suppose you don't know what a hunter is.''

''I've read about them, but I thought it was a legend,'' Liz said.

''No, it's real. We are humans, but with enhanced powers and some other abilities, so everyone believes we are humans. Only my bloodline can create one, and I am the first female one. The thing is that my father was half-werewolf, and my mother was a witch. Therefore, I have inherited both of their traits, and I am a tribrid. Three species in one.

There is a curse cast upon my bloodline that says that we are to be hunted and never find happiness. We can't be with our mates because we always destroy those we love. That's why I rejected you. I thought that it was for the best. Yes, you might be in pain at first, but eventually, you would forget about me, and you would live your life with someone else without being in danger because of me.''

''But it didn't work out the way you wanted it to, right?'' he asked, smiling bitterly.

''That's right. That night, Charles, the bastard that shot you, made me realize that there is no real escape. We are linked mentally and physically. I had wounds on my palms whose creation I couldn't explain. I saw your palms covered in bandages, and everything started to make sense. That night at the club, the vampire hurt you at your left shoulder, and I felt that hit at the same spot. When you were shot, I felt it. My breath stopped, and I almost fainted. I have a wound on my chest from an invisible bullet to prove it.''

''After the attack, I had wounds across my body even if I hadn't fight. It was you, right?''

''Yes. I am not sure, yet, how that works, but the existence of it makes me worry. Anyway, the thing is you have to believe me. All I did was because I wanted to protect you. This is the only thing I ever wished for. Please, believe me,'' she said with eyes full of tears.