How We Had Our First Encounter

"Why is he always staring at you?" my best friend frowned. We were having lunch and as usual Dylan was staring at me from his usual table with his close friends.

"I don't know. Just ignore it, Ariana," I told her.

"Don't you find it weird that the school's bad boy is always watching you?" she pushed.

"No, because it's every day that your brother's sworn enemy stalks you," I replied sarcastically.

"So you do find it weird. Who would ever think that the football team quarterback would be a stalker?" she teased, "Have you ever spoken to him?"

"Nope. Not since the fight. Didn't you hear my warning? 'Stay away from Dylan. I mean it!" I imitated Jace's voice and Ariana laughed.

"I'm going to tell you what I told my brother about Adam Levine when we saw the Animals video, he could stalk me any day," Ari fanned herself dramatically and I laughed, "So your birthday is this Saturday. You're turning eighteen."

"I know. My parents are obviously getting me some top-notch gift that my mom can't seem to stop hinting about," I chewed on some of my fries, "And it's pretty obvious that Jace is planning a party which is supposed to be a surprise but I already know about it."

"Hey beautiful ladies," James, my brother's best friend joined us.

"Hey," Ari and I chorused.

"The game is coming up this Friday and Ari baby you can admit to me now that you'll be cheering for me," James winked at her and threw his arm around my shoulder and stole some of my fries.

"Only in your dreams," she scoffed.

"Oh no baby, in my dreams you don't cheer, you scream," he flirted and she blushed wildly.

"Whatever."

"Get your arm from around my sister," Jace warned as he joined us and James quickly removed his arm. Ari and I laughed.

"Where were you Jace? You're late," I frowned.

"You know, he was having his usual hook up," James joked.

"Who was it this time?" Ari scowled.

"Sexy Sasha," James answered for him, "Ah, she's real easy."

"And you're real dogs," Ari told him and got up and walked away. The bell rang a short while after that and I got up and kissed my brother goodbye and waved to James. 

I left the cafeteria feeling a pair of eyes on me as I made my way to the hall. I found my locker and opened it, watching as the usual note fell from the inside. I picked it up and read the brief note. 'I wish I could join you for lunch every day and be the one who makes you smile -M.'

"If you'd just reveal yourself then maybe you could," I mumbled and gathered my books for my next class.

He always signed his notes with an 'M' but that left a wide range of guys in the school so I never bothered to question it, he'd come out when he was ready. The only person who knew about my secret admirer was Ariana and that's just because she was nosy and somehow had my locker combination. I don't know how.

I felt the usual pair of eyes on me and I took a sudden turn and stormed over to Dylan. The hall was empty except for him and me, considering I was late for class. I froze when I reached him and gasped when I noticed how beautiful his eyes were up close yet again. I felt myself drowning in them and chose to focus on somewhere else. My eyes found his pink lips which were curved upwards into a smirk. I knew Dylan was hot but up close he was a work of art. His muscles were visible through his white v-neck and suddenly I forgot to breathe. In. Out. In. Out. Relax Skylar.

"Dylan," I said in a rather calm voice. His name felt foreign on my lips and I had to look around after I said it because I was forbidden after all.

"Skye," my name fell perfectly off his lips and I took a sharp breath, dying on the inside from how lovely my name sounded coming from his mouth. I had a sudden urge to make him say my name again.

"Could you repeat that?" I asked licking my lips nervously. I felt silly. Why would I ask him to do that? Stupid Skylar.

"Why?" he smirked and encircled me. The strong scent of his cologne filled my nose, blurring my thoughts and I backed up until my back hit the lockers and he trapped me with his arms. He lowered his head to mine, his lips brushing against my ear, "Your brother's not here to hide you today."

"I'm a big girl," I forced out.

"I know."

"Why are you stalking me?" I choked out.

"I don't stalk people, angel," he stared into my eyes, "I just take a deep interest in some things, people."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I frowned.

"Soon princess," he muttered and backed up from me. Finally having enough space to breathe, I remembered that this was my brother's enemy.

"Stop following me around freak," I forced the hurtful words off my lips, "You're so weird. You seriously need a social life."

"Go to class Skye," he muttered angrily, rolling his hands into fists. The hurt was evident in his voice and even though I should have been concerned that he was leaving through the school doors, I couldn't get over the fact that he had called me Skye again.

***

Of course, I was late to class but the teacher overlooked it because it was the first time I was late for anything. The rest of the day flew by quickly and soon I found myself outside rehearsing, with the cheerleading team, on the field. The guys were also on the field practising. The only thing awkward about every rehearsal we had on the field with the guys was that Jace and Dylan played on the same team.

Dylan was the quarterback and Jace was the team's pass rusher and the captain. Because even though Dylan was the team's most important asset, we had tried having him as captain and let's just say that didn't work out.

And don't ask how practice works every day with both of them.

"Skye focus," a voice cut through my trail of thoughts.

"I am," I lied and turned back around to focus on the team but I quickly lost interest again as I saw a circle around two guys fighting on the field. The girls, including me, ran over to where the fight was and I silently prayed that it wasn't who I thought it was. Please don't be Jace, please don't be Jace, please don't be-

"Jace!" I heard Ari exclaim and I groaned, thinking it was him but then I noticed that he was standing aside and Ariana was telling him to part them but he didn't care. When I looked at who was fighting I realized why.

"Ari get your boyfriend off of Dylan!" I freaked.

"He's not my boyfriend!" she shrieked but blushed, "And technically he's under Dylan."

"Jace do something, he's your best friend!" I exclaimed.

"Nah James dug his grave today," Jace shrugged.

"Stupid," I muttered, "Martin get off of him right now!"

"Skye, leave me alone," Dylan growled.

"No Martin. Get off!" I pushed him away but he accidentally pulled me down when I used my hands to pry him away from James. He rolled over, ending up with me being on top of him with my legs on both sides of his hips. My chest crashed into his and my lips came mere inches away from his own as my face met his. My hair seemed to shield our faces from the world so my brother couldn't see my blush or Dylan's smirk.

"Uh...hey," his voice came out rough.

"Hello," I blushed wildly. Our moment was ruined as I felt two arms around my waist pull me roughly away from Dylan. I was thrown over the person, I recognized to be Jace, shoulder as he angrily stormed away.

"Practice is over."