How He Told Me Off...

I collected my lunch and smiled gratefully at the lunch lady. Turning on my heel I walked towards the table with Ari sitting down. She smiled at me and continued eating her mashed potatoes. She looked nice today as usual, with her blonde hair loosely up in one. She wore sky blue jeans with a slightly loose yellow T-shirt.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked her.

"It's just...things haven't been the same with James," she played with her food.

"Since the party," I added for her. She never really told me what happened, "What happened Ari?"

"He slept with another girl. Well...that's what I assume but it's obvious. When I found him, he was making out with a girl and I watched them until he left with her," she sounded so heartbroken, "I called his phone in the morning because I figured we needed to talk but then she answered."

"I'm so sorry," I told her and moved closer to her and hugged her.

"No, it's okay. This just proves that I was right; he's an ass. I just...I don't want to speak to him again. Can we do that?" she asked hopefully.

"Of course. I don't have to speak to him if you don't want me to," I promised.

"Don't you think we've been hanging out with the bad guys all along without even realizing it?" Ari replied. I thought long and hard about it.

"Probably," I agreed.

I noticed everyone started rushing out of the canteen and there was a faded chanting of 'Fight! Fight! Fight!' coming from somewhere near enough. Ari and I shared a knowing look and then rushed to the hall. We followed the noise and soon found ourselves on the field where there was a huge crowd.

I started digging through the large mass of students until I found the core of the fight. Dylan was there on top of Jace punching him wildly in his face. Blood was running from my brother's nose and I could see his eyes were going to be swollen in the morning. I knew it was my brother's fault as usual, it always is, but I was his sister. I was obligated to take his side.

"Get off of him Dylan!" I yelled and pulled at his arm, dragging him off my brother. He willingly got up and I gave his hand a gentle squeeze which I hope no one saw. I hope he understood that I knew it wasn't his fault and that I didn't blame him. I quickly released his hand before anyone could think any more of it.

"Mr. Martin, Mr. Amiel, my office now," the serious and rather annoyed voice of the principal cut through the air.

***

"What is wrong with you?" I attacked my brother when he stepped out of the office.

"Nothing. I'm happy actually. I get a few detentions, he gets suspended for a week and misses a game," he smiled and I got extremely angry.

"You'll just lose another game. None of you can play anyways. Dylan is the team," I replied.

"Excuse me?" Jace stopped and turned to face me.

"You heard me. You are such a jerk! You and your friends! You disgust me!" I whisper-yelled at him.

"You talk like you know the freak!" Jace snapped.

"I know him well enough to know that he's not a freak! And that he's not the bad guy!"

"I told you to stay away from him. He's a bad guy. I warned you! You went against what I've said? What kind of person have you become?" Jace practically barked.

"What kind of person have I become? At least I'm not the one picking fights!" I shouted at him and poked his chest, "At least I'm not the one bullying people with my friends. You're a bully, a weak one too. And you know what? He's not the bad guy, you are!"

"I think because we're in the same year group you're forgetting I'm older," he said warningly as I walked away.

"Piss off Jace," I shouted in the empty hall once more and left. I caught sight of Dylan leaving through the school doors. I turned around and realized that Jace had already left the hall. I chased after Dylan, "Dylan, wait up!"

He started moving faster after throwing a dirty look over his shoulder towards me. My heart seemed to have sunk and my legs froze refusing to carry me any further. I couldn't help but get that feeling that he didn't want to see me. Well obviously, I snarled sarcastically in my head.

I continued moving towards him anyways. I grabbed his shirt before he climbed into his car and then pushed him against the car door, the same way he did with me the other night. He seemed impressed with my strength but quickly hid his smirk.

"I was trying to speak to you," I frowned.

"Why? I'm not your brother," he stated simply. I stared into his dark eyes confused as to why he was upset.

"What?"

"Let's face it. You're always going to take your brother's side and I don't do secret friendships so I don't want just a squeeze on my hand or a sympathetic glance," he snarled, "You're always going to take his side even when he's wrong."

"I'm not taking his side-"

"But you are. Why don't you shout at him and tell him to stop in front of everyone instead of behind their back? Why don't you tell him to get away from me and not the other way around?" he asked coldly, "Huh? Answer me!"

"He's my brother. I can't embarrass him," I confessed.

"But he's wrong!" Dylan barked, "The only reason they haven't expelled me from this school yet is because I'm an important asset to the football team. Don't you think it's unfair?"

"What?" my voice was trembling.

"That I get suspended? That I miss a game? While your brother only serves a week detention and he started the fight?" his voice was dark. His eyes were long gone.

"I guess-"

"No, don't guess because it is but apparently because I fought an opposing team captain and James in less than three weeks, I get suspended," he snapped.

"But James started the fight and you were a little frustrated at the game-"

"It doesn't matter to them Skye! I'm the bad guy here. And because of this, my parents get to remind me just how worthless and useless I am once more," he ran his fingers through his hair frustrated.

"I'm sorry," I fought back the tears.

"Oh really?" he mocked in a girly voice and then glared at me, "Save your crying bullshit for your brother and his friends."

"But what are you upset with me for?" I shot daggers at him.

"Don't you get it? All of this has to do with you! You're apart of them and I want nothing to do with them so stay away from me! We're not friends, not even acquaintances; don't even refer to me as your school mate. We're done here. I'm done with you and your bitchy little brother. Bye. Don't talk to me," he snapped and then pushed me away from him and got in his car. He drove off leaving me standing there.

I suddenly had the urge to cry.