How I Spent My Birthday

I was very fortunate to be turning eighteen, I know. There are many people who didn't live to see my age and I'm grateful that I did. But when you wake up to your nineteen year old brother soaking you with water because you wouldn't get up on your birthday, you have to question exactly how happy your birthday is.

I was already wet so I just used my pillow to block out his screaming and shut my eyes again. But before I could let sleep take over, Jace pulled me off the bed by grabbing both of my feet and pulling me down the stairs. That was the second mood kill to my day because hitting your head every now and then on the steps isn't a wonderful feeling.

"Thank you very much Jace, for the warm wake up. I loved it," my voice dripped with sarcasm.

"You're welcome sis. Happy birthday," he kissed my cheek.

"Yeah, yeah," I waved him off when he tried to pinch my cheeks.

"Oh my baby! Happy birthday sweetheart," my mom hugged me and kissed my cheeks and my father followed suit.

"Happy birthday princess."

"Thank you guys,' I said and took a seat at the table where chocolate chip pancakes, my favorite, were laid out. I immediately dug in, moaning at the wonderful taste on my tongue.

"Oh by the way we got you a car for your birthday," my mom said sounding excited. I immediately dropped my fork.

"Honey, I thought we'd let her eat first and you can't just say it like that," my father disciplined but I had long zoned out. I saw my mother place a key on the table and I lunged for it, grabbing it between my fingers and running outside.

I immediately spotted it. It was parked in front of the house. A white Honda Civic Hybrid. Just my kind of car. An average car for an average girl. I shrieked and ran up to the car running my hand over its smooth exterior. I opened the door and climbed in, smelling the new fresh scent. I had to take it for a test run and I knew just where I wanted to go.

"I have to admit, when you showed up to my house with morning breath, bed head and in your pyjamas, soaked, with a little syrup at the corner of your mouth, I thought you had finally lost it," Ariana told me as we climbed out of the car for what seemed like the tenth time of the day. We had gone all over town. I did my nails, my hair and bought a new dress for my supposed surprise party tonight. We then went back to Ari's house to get ready and were now walking up the driveway to mine, "But then I understood why."

"You're just sucking up because you want a ride to school every morning," I joked.

"I am very okay with my usual personal driver," she scoffed.

"You're low-life brother?" I teased and she laughed.

"Yeah, he doesn't drive as bad as he does everything else," she laughed even harder as we entered the house. The house was crowded. People were everywhere, the music was blasting and people were doing things in places I'd never go again. Ever.

"There she is!" my brother yelled over the noise and everyone turned to me and yelled 'Happy Birthday Skye!'

"Thank you, thank you," I smiled cheerfully and then faced my brother, "No really, thank you Jace. You've done so mu-"

"Yeah save me the soppy story sis," he cut me off with a hug, "Now go enjoy your party."

"That I shall do," I agreed and he left us.

That was the last time I saw Jace for the night and little after that Ari left me to go find James. I could have enjoyed my party and interact with others. I could have even danced with the guys who offered. But none of that really interested me so I just had a couple of drinks and danced with the crowd a little before complaining about a headache and going upstairs to my room.

I changed out of my party clothes and into my pyjamas. I let my long dark hair down and took off all my jewelry except my simple silver chain with a cross on it and then went into my bathroom to brush my teeth. I washed my face and then returned to my room and fluffed my pillows. There was a sudden loud bang against my window. I jumped at first and then looked skeptically at it. Sure enough, there was another bang on my window and I noticed someone was throwing stones at it.

I slowly walked over to it and slid it upwards after parting the curtains. I pushed my head out of the window and looked down to see who it was that was throwing rocks at my window and disturbing my sleep to come. I was about to quarrel but then I noticed it was Dylan and I lost my words.

"I'm coming up," he told me and I nodded confused as to why he was here but nervous at the same time. Not long after his figure was climbing through my window. I immediately locked my room door, knowing that if Jace found out about this, I was dead.

"What are you doing here? You could get in another fight with my brother," I warned noticing he had a black eye from yesterday.

"I'll be okay," he shrugged.

"Why are you here?" I pushed.

"I wanted to wish you a happy birthday," he replied and I blushed.

"Really?"

"No. I climbed all the way up here to tell you that school is on Monday," he snapped sarcastically.

"Okay, I get it. No need to get rude," I frowned.

"I'm sorry. Happy late birthday," he smiled and handed me a small wrapped box.

"Thank you. You didn't have to get me anything," I was excited still. I opened the box and revealed two beautiful diamond earrings, "Oh my gosh, this must have cost a fortune. I can't take it."

"Don't mention it. It's yours. Keep it," he insisted seriously.

"But-but-"

"I'm not taking it back," he informed me.

"Well if you insist," I gave up and placed the beautiful earrings on my dresser.

"I'm sorry for kissing you," he told me scratching his head back nervously.

"I kissed you back so don't apologize-"

"I know but...I shouldn't have done it. I don't want to give you the wrong idea. I don't..umm...understand what's going on between us but it's better if we stop because as you said, I'm supposed to be your enemy," he sounded sad.

"And I'm supposed to be yours-"

"No," he shook his head, "You'll never be my enemy. Never."

"Well you'll never be mine either. Just my brother's," I replied and he looked hopeful.

"I don't even want to be your brother's enemy. He's just stubborn," he grumbled, "And ridiculous."

"What happened?" I burst out dying to know, "Between you and him, I mean."

He suddenly looked at me. His eyes studying mine. He seemed to be long lost in thoughts and struggling to answer and this only made me even more curious as to what had really happened. It was only them involved; Dylan and Jace and Jace refused to ever speak about it again so Dylan was my only hope to an answer. He ran his hands through his hair frustrated, after glancing my way, before our eyes met again.

"Maybe one day I'll tell you when the time is right and you're ready," he sighed, "I think its best I go now. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," I said defeated.