How I Lost An Admirer

"I want you to stay away from him. I mean it," my brother warned in a dangerously low voice as his arms gripped his steering wheel.

"You're overreacting. I spoke to him in the hall today. He seemed pretty normal," I informed him.

"You spoke to him?" he snarled.

"You're being ridiculous," I hissed.

"It's ridiculous that we have to play together on the field so I don't want anything else to do with him. Stay away. I don't want to see you around him. He's weird and bad news. Listen to me, this is the last time I'm telling you," he parked the car outside our house and turned to look me in the eyes, "Stay away."

"Okay fine. I get it."

I got out of his car and ran upstairs to my room, locking the door behind me. My brother was so annoying and ridiculously unreasonable. He was stubborn and over protective. I didn't need his protection. I was about to turn eighteen and him running around and playing big brother was not called for. I hated this Jace. There was a knock on my room door and I chose to ignore it but the person never gave up.

"Go away!" I yelled.

"Oh come on. You can't be upset," he said.

"I can."

"I'm your brother. You're supposed to stay away from my enemies. I don't see the big deal. You did it for two years," he continued.

"Oh my gosh! Take a hint and leave me alone!" I screamed and buried my head in my pillow.

I got up earlier the next morning and got a ride with Ariana to school. We entered the school together but froze when we saw a couple making out against the lockers. Ari and I scrunched up our noses as we passed by. After looking closer, I noticed the guy was a certain someone who stirred my thoughts in all the wrong ways. Dylan.

For some unknown reason to me, I felt hurt. I found it hard to tear my eyes away from the couple as I stood shocked with my lips slightly parted. Ari tugged on my hand and then pulled me all the way to my locker. She pushed me against it trying to wake me up from my shell shocked state. I blinked and closed my mouth when she snapped her fingers in front of my eyes.

"What was that?" Ari asked.

"What was what?"

"You staring at them acting all jealous and hurt!" she accused.

"I did not!" I protested.

"You did too!"

"I don't know. It just stung a little you know? He was kinda flirty with me yesterday in the hall and then I landed on him when I parted the fight and I don't know. I clearly misinterpreted things anyways," I confessed, "And what was I thinking? He's my brother's enemy!"

"Okay calm down. Don't get it twisted. He's the school's bad boy for a reason and you're forgetting you're supposed to stay away from him," Ari warned.

"I know but it just seemed like he liked me-"

"Woah! Forget about that," Ari informed me and I sighed.

"Okay. You're right," I told her and opened my locker. I grabbed my usual note before it fell and read it out loud, "I think about you every minute of the day Skye. But the truth is, you're a good girl and every part of my life is bad. I'm bad for you so I'll leave you alone now. You'll always have a special place in my heart -M."

"Aww looks like you just lost an admirer too," Ari frowned.

"Today's going to be a really bad day," I groaned.

"Babe let me cheer you up," James joined us and leaned against the locker facing me, "It should be much better now because you've seen me. Sorry for the delay."

"I don't need you being arrogant right now James. What was that fight about yesterday?" I asked.

"Umm..nothing," he looked guilty of something. Whatever it was, he didn't want me to know, "Just stupid guy stuff."

"Like what?" Ari pushed.

"Yeah," he smiled uncomfortably and walked off, ignoring her question.

"Yeah?" I frowned and shut my locker, "Ari, I just feel like Jace and his friends are hiding something from me and I know it has something to do with Dylan."

"You think so?"

"Yes," I said and walked off with her falling into step with me. Someone bounced me causing my books to fall on the ground. I glared at the guy in front of me, not really upset with him but annoyed with my day so far. He bent and picked up my books.

"I'm so sorry," he apologized and met my eyes. He handed me back my books, his eyes widening like saucers, "I didn't know it was you. Gosh, I'm talking to you, he's going to kill me!"

"Wait!" I grabbed his hand, "What are you talking about?"

"He said no guy was to ever touch or talk to you," he rambled and started walking away, "God, you touched me. I'm dead."

"He who?" Ari called but he was long gone. I shared a knowing look with her.

"See what I'm talking about," I rolled my eyes and we continued to walk to class, "Weird shit is going on."

"And you're not going to stop until you find out," Ari concluded.

***

"Skye honey I have a favor to ask you," I looked up at my blue eye, blonde hair best friend as she approached me. I glared at her because she was late for lunch and I had to sit with Jace and James who were bugging me to speak to them.

"You're late," I told her.

"I know. I'm sorry but I was talking to Theo, you know one of the twins, and he asked me out but he's bringing his brother, Thai, and I need you to double date with me," Ari rushed out all in one breath.

"What?" both James and Jace shouted.

"You're not going out," James told Ari.

"And you're not going out with her," Jace directed at me.

"Please come with me! Thai's hot, you've seen him and he's sweet and funny and I-"

"Okay, okay! I'll go with you," I told her, ignoring the boys who were screaming no.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, so much," she hugged me tightly.

"When is it?" I asked.

"Sunday. We're going to the movies and then dinner," Ari finally took a seat across from me, at the table.

"Such a typical date. You need someone who will get creative with you. And when I say someone, I mean me," James said.

"Oh really? Where would you take me to on our date?" Ariana stole some of his food and he let her as he watched her in admiration.

"You'll have to let me take you out to find out," he smirked.

"Well then obviously I'm not that interested in knowing because going out with you still doesn't sound appealing to me," Ari joked.

"Ari baby, I'm wounded," James faked hurt and placed his hand on his chest, "I can feel the tears coming."

"Oh shut up player boy," Ari teased and I grinned as I watched my friends in a playful banter.