Breaths

In.

Out.

Shoot.

It was the first thing you were taught when you picked up a gun, how to breathe with it in your hands. Rule 1: Never breathe out when firing. Why? The movement of your body will mess up your aim, so you will miss and your position will be compromised.

Rule 2: In, out then shoot. It doesn't matter how long the breath is as long as you are firing after.

Rule 3: If you miss, first move positions then assess why. Take 4 breaths before firing again, unless you are firing multiple shots in a row.

Rule 4: If you are firing multiple shots in a row, do half the mag in one breath and the rest after the second.

Rule 5: You get two breaths to change the cartridge

Lastly, Rule 6: Don't miss, but if you do... take your last breaths with pride.

These were the rules. Many were beaten into your brain but these were the ones that Mother made you repeat, over and over and over. Others were simple rules like, never point the weapon at anyone unless it is necessary. Always say thank you when you are criticized, no matter what they say. And always keep your emotions locked away till you are alone.

From the scope of a rifle the world is small. You had gotten to one of the taller buildings roofs and were looking all around for your target.

Flames shouldn't be that hard to find but the buildings left many blind spots. Not to mention the fact that he could already be in the building you were in. You knew the shadows controlling the Commision didn't want you to get out alive. You knew that they would do anything to get what they wanted, you had experienced it in your line of work all the time. If someone speaks out, they get silenced, usually permanently.

Movement in the corner of your vision kicks you back into reality. You turn and see a very small red feather flying around. Once it notices that you've seen it then it points towards the northern part of the area.

You throw your rifle over your shoulder and get a running start. When you reach the end of the roof you jump. The gap between buildings is significant but you make it over with room to spare. To break your fall, you tuck your gun into your body and roll once you make contact with the cold concrete. The next gap is smaller, so you don't need to tuck and roll.

That's when you spot him.

Flames shoot out from his shoulders and face. He's just standing in the middle of an opening, most likely waiting for you. The building you were on before had this area blocked. Without you moving it would have become a waiting game between the two of you.

He knew you couldn't beat him in a physical fight. He also knew what your quirk was and how it worked. Unbeknownst to you and Hawks, your meeting with the Council was recorded and the tape was given to Endeavor before the fight. He listened to you talk about its power and it's weaknesses. After you explained it, Hawks was asked how he became "immune". He quickly explained how it was very difficult but effective if you have a strong will power.

However, you had a Royal Flush in this game of poker, you just needed to keep your game face on and hand hidden until the moment came.

You made a promise and you were going to keep it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words:591

Hope y'all enjoy!! Sorry it's so short, I'll get another chapter out this week. Thank you for all the love about the book. It is very appreciated!!