Chapter Twenty Nine

"Joanna," Cathleen whined. Joanna lay on the ground wrapped in furs and Kincaid's embrace. The night had been long and full of travel, and they had finally stopped to sleep. "Joanna," Cathleen whined again. Joanna didn't stir. Kincaid heard the small child. He moved around trying to wake Joanna. "Joanna. Cathleen needs you," Kincaid said groggily. Joanna didn't stir. She took a deep breath, and turned her face into Kincaid's chest. It was no use. Joanna was tired. She had attended the children all day, and was finally getting rest. Kincaid heard the child cry out, so he unwound his arms from around Joanna's body and grudgingly stood up. He walked to the wagon where the children were sleeping, and peered inside. Cathleen still lay on her stomach with her back to the sky, and Kincaid stared at the bloodied bandages. The bleeding had long since stopped, and now the blood upon the bandages was turning brown.

The little girl whimpered and gripped the furs beneath her. Kincaid saw the tears on the child's cheeks. He reached out and gently touched her hand, and slipped a finger into her grip. "Cathleen," he whispered. She gripped his finger tighter and whimpered. "Cathleen dear child wake up," he whispered. Cathleen woke up with a start and looked at him. He saw fear flash in her eyes. The fear of the nightmare and him. "I want Joanna," she whimpered, yet she didn't release his finger. "Your sister is asleep," Kincaid informed her. Her grip loosened on his finger, but she didn't release. "You do not need to fear me," he said, "I am here to protect you and your sisters."

Cathleen stared at Kincaid. Her eyes softened, and she gripped his finger tighter. "I miss my papa," she whispered. The sadness in her voice broke his heart. He rubbed his thumb against her hand. "He was a good man Cathleen. He loved you dearly," Kincaid said. She stared at his hand a moment before she looked at him again. "Where are we going?" she asked. "We're going to the Highlands. My home," he told her. She was quiet for some time. "You must sleep Cathleen. We leave at dawn," he said. He pulled his hand from her grip and she whined in protest. He smiled, gently stroked the girl's blonde curls. "Please stay," she pleaded. Her eyes were full of fear and worry. "I will stay until you fall asleep," he said.

~

Joanna woke up and found Kincaid had disappeared. She sat up and looked around. He was nowhere in sight. She saw Aílis and Barclay stilling resting as the sun began to rise. Joanna stood and searched for her husband. It wasn't until she heard someone snore that she looked in the wagon. Joanna went to the wagon and peered inside. She smiled a bright smile. Kincaid laid on his back with Marian under one arm and Cathleen under the other. Carney rested his head on Kincaid's stomach. The little girls' heads rested on either of his biceps. Kincaid slept peacefully with all the children laying on him. Joanna stifled her giggles.

~

On their return to the village Cathleen was taken to the Seer for healing. Cathleen was very hesitant being in the village, but Marian and Joanna were always close by reassuring her no harm would come to her. Slowly as time passed Cathleen began to heal, and Joanna's belly began to grow. Aílis had made sure to always be near Joanna's side. Joanna was thankful for the company. She often had a lot of questions about giving birth. Joanna was very afraid of the day she had to give birth. Aílis often comforted her by reassuring her that she would be there every step of the way.

~

Joanna stood in her fur cloak in the hall. A fire blazed and the room was slightly warm. People crowded in for warmth and protection from the wind. Suddenly the doors opened sending in a gust of wind and snow. Two cloaked figures rushed in closing the door behind them. Barclay and Kincaid removed their cloaks. Kincaid shook the snow from his blonde hair and went to his wife. "Joanna," he said lightly kissing her cheek. He placed a hand upon her swollen belly, "How does our child fair?" She smiled. "Our child won't stop moving. He or she won't rest," Joanna complained.