Chapter One

Today was the day and Joanna was nervous beyond her imagination. Her hand maid laced her dark blue dress as she looked at herself in the looking glass. Joanna was the only daughter of her father's that had their mother's characteristics. While her three younger sisters had blonde hair and brown eyes, Joanna had black hair and pale blue eyes. As her maid braided her hair, the door to her chambers opened to reveal two of her younger sisters: Marian and Cathleen. They hid something behind their backs. Both girls had a big smile on their small faces. "What are you two hiding?" the maid asked. Slowly they presented their treasures. Marian held a silver belt while Cathleen held a silver band. Joanna turned around when she recognized the items. She bent down and picked up the belt.

"Father wants you to wear it," Marian stated.

"These were mother's," Joanna murmured running her fingers over the silver.

"We had to hide from Rena so she wouldn't take them," Cathleen said.

Rena was two years younger than Joanna but believed she was the oldest and deserved all the luxuries. Joanna stared at the silver. She had not seen them for years. "Well? Put them on before Rena tries to snatch them away," Marian encouraged.

Marian was only seven summers old, and she seemed so mature for her age. The items were handed to the maid, and then laid gently on the bed. First, the maid placed the silver band around her head. The silver pressed against her forehead perfectly. Finally the belt was latched around her waist, and sat carefully on her hips. Joanna turned to her sisters. Marian and Cathleen stared in wonder. "You look just like mama," Marian said. Joanna had a sense of pride and happiness when she heard that. They didn't often talk of their mother. Four summers ago their mother had passed giving birth to Cathleen. Joanna feels great sorrow that Cathleen never knew their mother. Joanna had so many memories of her that she wished she could share with her youngest sister.

Suddenly the chamber doors opened and Rena appeared. She looked angry that Joanna wore their mothers jewels but it quickly passed. "At least I am not the one being betrothed," she said. Joanna rolled her eyes. "You look lovely as always Rena," Joanna said trying to be pleasant. Rena gave a twirl in her dark green dress. Even at thirteen summers Rena started to look like a woman and she knew it.

"Father said he wants to see us all in the threshold as soon as we are ready," Rena said. With a twirl of green fabric and blonde hair Rena left Joanna's chambers.

"Come now Marian, Cathleen, you must get ready," the maid said ushering them out.

Joanna stood in her chambers. She stared at her profile in the looking glass. She was often told she looked like her mother, but she sometimes had a hard time believing it. She remembered her mother being exceptionally beautiful. Joanna didn't know how she could compare to her. Once more her chamber doors to reveal not one of her sisters, but her father. He wore his cloak of deep red with a fur collar.

"You look stunning my daughter," he said. He embraced her. He held her at arms length.

"If only your mother could see you," he said, "She would be so happy for you on this day." His last words seemed almost hollow. Joanna thought she saw tears begin to rim his eyes.

"Father, no matter who you've chosen he won't keep me away from my family. I will always come and see you," Joanna promised.

There was something behind his sadness. Joanna couldn't tell what it was. He embraced her once more hugging her a little tighter. He released her. "I will see you in the threshold," he said. Joanna watched him leave her chambers. Once more she looked at herself in the looking glass; seeing if everything was to her approval. She was nervous and excited to meet her betrothed. She had tried to figure out over the years who he might be. It wasn't until she was nine summers old that her father first told of her any sort of marriage. She often assumed it was Prince Andrew from the East. He was twenty springs of age and had come to their home often. Her father had often talked of the outcome of them marrying, but never said anything of it being true. In the middle of her whirling thoughts a knock sounded at her door and then it opened.

"Come, father needs us," Marian urged.

Joanna left her chambers and followed after her sisters. Rena held herself high almost above everyone while Marian and Cathleen entertained one another. By the sound of their giggling they were succeeding. Gracefully Joanna entered the hall. People filled the hall with chatter all the while her father sat quietly in his throne on the far end of the threshold. Each daughter stood before their father, curtsied, and then sat in the thrones to the left of him. Rena had exaggerated her curtsy. By doing so she had forgotten about the two girls behind her. They bumped into her causing her to stumble a bit. Those who saw gave a small laugh while she stood up straight, and scowled at the little girls. Rena sat herself down with a huff while the two smaller princesses followed after.

They sat in silence until a young man approached them. He had blonde hair and gray eyes. He bowed.

"A pleasure to be here on this glorious day your majesties," he said.

"A pleasure you could be with us Prince Andrew," the King answered.

Andrew glanced at Joanna then took his place off to the side. Joanna looked from Andrew to her father. Something was plaguing his mind. His eyes showed sadness, anger, and even regret. She was concerned for his well being. "Rena, have you noticed father had been acting strange?" she asked.

"No. He seems perfectly fine," she answered. Rena went back to impressing the tribesmen and chieftains of the room. Joanna looked to her father once more. He rested his chin on his fist in thought. Men and women talked through the stone walls, but the King...it was as if he was in a completely different room. It was as if he was wishing he was somewhere else. "Father," Joanna touched his hand. The king jerked his head towards her breaking his trance.

"Is everything alright? You've been acting strange," Joanna asked.

He looked about to say something, but suddenly the grand doors opened. The sight was most unpleasant. Men with bare chests, and wearing kilts and blue war paint walked in. Most had shirts or just a wool cloak on to keep from the cold. Their leather boots echoed in the hall. Joanna was frozen with fear. She stared wide eyed at the Highlanders. Suddenly out of the swarm of men one emerged. He was stunning. He was bare chested with tribal marks scarred on his torso. Blue war paint in the form of claw marks marked his face. The sides of his dirty blonde hair were pulled back exposing his face to complete view. Joanna could see a slight stubble on his face. Covering his shoulders was a fur cloak fit for a king. Or chief for that matter. His heavy boots echoed through the threshold.

"Sir Kincaid, your arrival is sudden, but expected," the King said.

"I apologize for my lateness, but there was a bit of trouble getting past your warriors," he said with a hint of some unknown satisfaction.

Sir Kincaid's eyes landed on Joanna. He gave her a charming half smile and nodded his head to her. She felt uncomfortable under his dark eyes. Kincaid moved to the scrawny Prince Andrew. He looked to still be a boy than a young man of twenty. "Why is he here father?" Joanna murmured to her father. Once more Kincaid's eyes landed on her hearing her speak. Her father seemed to be hiding something. "Joanna, this is your betrothed. Sir Kincaid of the Highlands," her father said with grief. Joanna felt her throat close up. She looked to Kincaid who had a satisfied smile on his face. "I'll have to say I have never seen a more beautiful woman in all my days," Kincaid grinned. Joanna didn't have to look over towards her sisters to tell that they all had shocked expressions. "Are you too shocked for words, or am I just that handsome?" Kincaid asked. His men laughed. Joanna thought of scowling him, but was still in shock of the whole situation.

"My king, surely you have not betrothed your eldest daughter to this savage?" Prince Andrew argued.

"In fact he has. Judging by the other option it wasn't a hard decision," Kincaid smirked. His men laughed.

Andrew scowled. Andrew was about to say something, but the King held his hand up to silence him. "We shall continue this conversation in private," he ordered.