Chapter Eighteen

Joanna could not comprehend the words the old man spoke. "How could this be? I've kept track of my blood moon. I could not be with child," she said.

"The blood moon of this month you have missed," the Seer said.

Joanna thought a moment. She counted the days since her last blood moon. The old man was right. She had not bled in nearly a month. She suddenly felt over joyed. "Are you sure of this?" Joanna asked unable to hide her smile.

"I am certain. The gods have told me," the Seer said, "Go now and be with your husband. Let him know of your child."

Joanna thanked the Seer for the wonderful news and quickly left his home. She mounted up quickly and made her way back home. She race as fast as she could through the village and to Kincaid. Even in the middle of his sulking he would want to know this.

~

Kincaid lay in the grass on the hill twirling an arrow between his fingers and chewing a piece of grass in his mouth. Whenever he was stressed he liked to find a place to think. His father had caused many problems in Kincaid's past. He had thought he would be rid of him after his banishment, but that wasn't the case. In the middle of Kincaid's thoughts he heard the sound of a galloping horse coming towards him. He sat up dropping the arrow on the ground. He saw Joanna racing towards him. Something was the matter.

Kincaid jumped up and ran down the hill towards her. She stopped in front of their home. He ran towards her and the minute he was at her side she jumped off into his arms. "Joanna, what's happened?" he asked. She was breathing hard and was steadying herself. "Kincaid," she breathed. Kincaid she would say the worst.

"I'm with child," she finally said.

Kincaid's heart swelled with happiness he thought it might explode. He let a smile as bright as the sun upon his face, and his eyes gleamed like stars. "Truly? Are you with child?" Kincaid exclaimed. Joanna nodded with excitement. Kincaid laughed as he swept his wife into his arms. He spun around holding her tight.

~

That night Joanna and Kincaid lay in their bed. Kincaid's arm was wrapped around Joanna's bare body. Joanna's hand lay on his stomach. They just listened to each other's ragged breath. Their love making that night had been quick and rough. As was almost every night. But something plagued both minds of the lovers. "I must deal with my sister, Kincaid," she said. Kincaid sighed. He knew Joanna's sister was causing trouble. "I know, my love. If I could I would ride out and deal with this," Kincaid said.

"Why not?" she asked propping up on her elbow.

"With my father here me leaving would be a great risk. My absence would be a great opportunity for him to move in," he said.

"But with me being with child it secures your position as Chief. He cannot just pronounce himself chief in your absence without the people rioting," she said.

"Is not that simple, love. My father is a persuasive man," he said.

"How so?" she asked.

Kincaid sighed, "Another time." Joanna wanted to hear this, but she could see he was determined to remain silent. "What of my sister? I just can't sit here and let Andrew and Rena drain my people of their food and money," she said.

"Why must I remind you, milady, that these people here in this tribe are your people now? Your kin," he asked.

"The people of this tribe and the people of Britannia are both my priority. I just cannot sit here while half of my people are suffering," she argued.

"And I cannot risk the safety of my tribe to my father to chase after a matter I cannot control!" he said raising his voice.

Joanna was shocked, but she realized this was something that shouldn't be discussed at the moment. She closed her eyes and laid her hands on his chest. When she opened her eyes his face was still stern. "I am sorry. I will not bring it up again," she said. She laid down and turned on her side with her back to him. She was upset that there was nothing that could be done. Kincaid knew she was upset. "Joanna, I.... I did not mean to upset you," he said. He heard her sniffle. "Oh Joanna, please," Kincaid said. He laid down and wrapped an arm around her. He pulled her closer to his body. "I did not mean to be harsh, my love," he whispered.

"I do not cry for your words," she said.

"Then what do you cry for?" he asked.

"I cry for our people. I cry that they are in danger, and we can do nothing but watch," she said.

Kincaid held her tighter. "Joanna, you must believe me. I want to help Britannia. When we wed I knew I was not only marrying you, but your kingdom. But I can't leave my people while my father plots against me. To harm all those that I love and care for," he said. She nodded understanding. Even as a child began to grow in her belly it still left Kincaid's position as chief vulnerable. Joanna turned over and Kincaid held her to his chest. She weeped for sometime, and Kincaid continued to comfort her.

"I promise to you, my love, that the moment my father leaves our village we shall ride to Britannia and deal with Rena," he swore.

"Really?" she asked still pressed against his chest.

"Aye, my love. You did not abandon my people when they needed to see their Chief with a wife, so I will not abandon your people," he said.