Chapter Ten

Kincaid had mounted the horse and held Joanna in his arms as she shivered. Silent tears slid down her cheeks as they rode on. They reached his home and Kincaid carefully slid off with Joanna in his arms. He carried her inside. The fire was still roaring and the house was warm. He set her down in a chair. He kneeled in front of her and stared at her in concern. She was shaking and didn't take her eyes off the ground.

"Did they hurt you?" he asked.

No response.

"Joanna," he pleaded, "Joanna look at me." He tilted her chin up.

Joanna stared into his eyes. "Did they hurt you?" he asked again. Joanna gently rubbed her cheek where she felt the sting of the man's slap. Kincaid removed her hand and peered at the red skin. He gently rubbed her cheek with his thumb. "Why didn't you tell me about the soldiers?" she mumbled.

"What?" he asked.

She looked up at him, "Why didn't you tell me about the soldiers?"

He stared at her in disbelief. "How do you know of this?" he asked.

"The Seer told me of how you truly got your wound," she said, "I did not question anything until I found the right time."

He didn't say a word to her. "Why didn't you tell me Prince Andrew's soldiers were invading the border?" she pressed.

Kincaid stood up and walked away from her. She followed after. "Why wouldn't you tell me?" she asked becoming angry.

"I am not discussing this," he said.

"Tell me why," she argued.

"Because I thought you would runaway," he said. He instantly regretted it. He desperately wanted to drop the matter.

"What? Why would you think that?" she asked.

No reply.

"Why would you think that? I've accepted my fate," she said.

"Is that all I am? Your fate?" he asked.

"No...yes....I don't know. Just tell me why you thought I would run," she pleaded.

"Because I thought you loved him!" he roared.

She took a step back. She stared at him.

"Aílis told me you had affections for Andrew and with these attacks it's clear he has affections for you as well," he explained. She stared at him for minute. "I did have affections for Andrew. Once," she said.

"Once?" he asked.

"We were young and when certain realities came into view it wasn't to be," she said.

"What realities?" he asked.

"Just realities," she looked to the ground.

He saw the red in her cheeks. He walked forward and tilted her chin up to look her. He saw the blush on her cheeks. "Like me," he whispered. Without another word they began to lean in. Affection and love that had been stored away flooded Joanna's body when their lips touched. It was so sensual and intimate that Joanna didn't know how she could have lived without feeling this feeling. She wrapped her arms around his neck while he held her tightly by the waist. Joanna felt Kincaid's tongue touch her lips for entrance. She hesitantly let him in.

Shivers ran down her spine. She was hesitant for the longest time. Kincaid was slow in his movements. His hands gently roamed her body. He didn't want to pressure her into anything. Joanna was nervous, excited, terrified, and hungry for more all at the same time. The thought of his muscled fingers running down her back made her shiver again. A growing need built up in her. A need to feel him. A need to see him. A need to have him. These new feelings scared her. She knew a way to solve it, but she was scared. Kincaid moved down to her neck. A moan escaped her lips. Joanna bit her bottom lip. She couldn't restrain herself any longer. She had to make a decision. "Kincaid, will you bed me?" she whispered. He stopped kissing. He looked into her eyes. How he waited for this moment.