chapter 21

in the next week me, ava, the boys and our parents had to head to colorado for a hockey game. it was around 9 o clock on a wednesday and i was packing since i was leaving tomorrow morning. i heard cooper come from hockey and asked him if i could borrow a sweatshirt until jack walked in with him.

"i'm not here to hang out with you" he walked up the stairs to kiss me. "maybe after, me and cooper need to practice". i just sarcastically rolled ny eyes and walked away. i finished packing shortly after and laid down in my bed and started to sleep. i could hear the boys still playing hockey so i went to sleep. my parents and jacks were already in colorado and ava was waiting for cooper in his room.
later in the night i heard jack come up into my room but i didn't feel like getting up to acknowledge him.
-
the next morning at around 4am me and jack woke up to the obnoxious alarm, and i heard the others. we all changed and grabbed our bags and threw them in my jeep and we headed to the airport.

at the airport we got our bags checked and sat by our gate. me and ava went to get starbucks and the boys sat at the gate and watched a hockey game. and facetimed alex and cole.
-
we boarded the plane and soon we were in colorado.
we all got off the plane and grabbed our luggage and got the rental car and like usual i was stuck driving.
we stopped at chick fil a on the way to the hotel and soon after made it to the hotel. all of us had our own room so we quickly unpacked and the boys had practice. so me and ava were going to get some food with our parents, going shopping and then meeting the boys at some mountain skate thing.
-
the food was so good and i had a nice talk with my parents and jacks since i hadn't seen them in a while. me and ava bought a lot of stuff but it was definitely worth it.
the sun was staring to set and me and ava were on our way to the skate thing. and it was so beautiful, the boys were already on the ice waiting for us, we got out of the car and greeted them and they helped us put our skates on.
"jack i love this" i looked around to see the mountains around me.
"only the best for you" he kissed my cheek.

"this was my idea" cooper butted in. and jack just rolled his eyes and we started to skate.

ellieandrews: apparently this was coopers idea🤷🏼‍♀️jhughes: ❤️cooperandrews: it was

jhughes: ❤️
cooperandrews: it was.
avawilliams: bsf🫶🏼
colecaulfield: don't invite or anything 🙄
—> alexturcss: yea wtf 🥲

the rest of the night we skated and played fake games of hockey until we all got tired and decided to head back. ava and cooper were going to go get food and me and jack wanted to go to the hot-tub at the hotel.
-
the next day came around and the boys were up very early for their game. me and ava continued to sleep until we actually had to get up and leave.

the game was going fine until someone slammed cooper into the wall and you could see the blood on the ice. "shit" i mumbled trying to see what had happened. i didn't think it was that serious, probably just a knocked out tooth or a nose bleed, which was part of it. but cooper couldn't get up. a couple years ago he had torn his mcl. and my only guess was that he tore it again since he didn't really let it heal fully before going back to hockey. jack and a few other team mates ended up helping cooper off the ice and he went to the ER right away. the game continued on but ava and my parents went to the er to find cooper, i told them i'd meet them there afterward.

the game ended and i met up with jack. we decided he would change in my car and we would go to the er. we walked to my car and i congratulated him for winning and he quickly changed.

"jack" i paused.

"what babe" he replied slipping his shirt on.

"actually nevermind" i pulled out of the parking lot. he just smiled at me weirdly.
-
it was a mostly quiet car ride to the hospital. we finally got there, and i think jack realized i was stressed about something so as we walked in he rubbed my hand with his thumb. we walked up to the front desk.

"um, were here to see cooper andrews" i put my hands on the counter.

"relation?" the nurse asked.

"um. im his sister and this is my um husband" i cleared my throat nervously.

"ok, room 318" the nurse said and pointed down the hall.

we started to walk down the hall until jack spoke up.

"i enjoyed that" he laughed.

"enjoyed what?" i looked back at him.

"what you said, cause you know it will be true one day" he wrapped his arm around me as we walked into coops room, he was sleeping. my parents weren't in there, just ava.

"hey aves how's he doing" me and jack sat down on the couch in the room.

"um, he has a concussion and a knocked out tooth anddd he tore his mcl.. again" she took a sip of her water.

"of course he did" jack laughed. i just let out a sigh. a little while later my parents came back and we talked about what the plan was for the rest of the trip. cooper would be in the hospital for the next 3 days. but we were supposed to leave in 2 days. so we decided we would all stay, and fly home as a family.
jack called his mom and told her he was gonna stay, but they were still gonna leave in 2 days.

after talking for a little bit me ava and jack decided we were gonna head back. my parents were gonna stay with him overnight.
-
we were about half way back to the hotel when ava had to use the bathroom, and she was thirsty, so we pulled over to a gas station and she hopped out of the car.

"el" jack looked over at me. "what we're you gonna say to me before".

"oh um, i just wanted to say that i love and appreciate you" i paused. "and that i'm scared that were gonna separate after highschool" i finished.

"el, we've had this conversation so many times i promise you i'm not leaving, i love you way way to much to do that and we've done everything together for almost a year now" he smiled reassuringly. i just kissed me, and then ava came back and we headed to the hotel.