Scene 12

NINI

"Oh, Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" I say with my eyes closed, trying to picture I am Juliet, standing at a balcony, waiting for the love of my life. However, in my case, it's not Romeo who answers.

"No need to worry, Broadway, I'm right here." A familiar voice says. I open my eyes in shock, since I knew I was alone. Apparently not anymore. Caden West decided to crash my rehearsal again, sitting in the first row wearing the famous hoodie with his name and the words WRENCORE HOCKEY on it, reminding me he has nothing to do here.

"Holy Moly, you scared the shit out of me", I say, putting one hand on my heart to see if it's racing. It is. The gesture caught Caden's attention, who now swallows hard.

"I've told you I want to be your Romeo. I came to rehearsals." He explains, so matter-of-factly as if it were normal to have the university's hockey legend wanting to play theater with you.

"And I told you to leave", I reply, hoping my voice doesn't show how nervous I am right now. It appears it doesn't, and I quickly thank the universe that I know how to act and fake emotions.

Caden goes with his hand through his hair, that is still a little messy probably from wearing a helmet. He then smirks and some butterflies start flying through me. Damn it.

"I know. But now I came prepared."

I blink once, trying to think of a reply. So I blink again: "You watched Matthew McConaughey films?"

"I did. All of them."

"All of them?!"

"You should ask my roommate. He wasn't exactly thrilled to have me taking over the couch in the living room until two in the morning, to watch some love movies."

I still can't process what I've just heard: "You watched all his movies?"

"Yeah, I wanted to be prepared."

I shake my head, not wanting to believe: "There's no way you did that."

"But I did."

"Fine", I say, yet I don't give up. "What magazine does Andie work for in How to Lose a Guy in 10 days?"

Caden looks at me amused, with his usual smirk on. "Are you testing me?"

"They said never trust anyone. Answer the question."

"Composure", he answers, surprisingly right. I try to look past that and ask my second question.

"What's the name of Paula's roommate in Failure to Launch?"

"The best friend? Kit", he answers, again right. I lose it.

"Damn it."

His smirk widens and he starts chuckling: "I've told you I watched the movies. You could have just trusted me, Broadway."

I roll my eyes dramatically, for him to see it. He doesn't react, just keeps his signature smirk on. I start wondering how an honest smile looks on him. Probably it's best that he doesn't smile. If he already gives me butterflies with a smirk, I don't want to know what a smile might do.

"So, when can we start?" He asks me, probably noticing I am staring at him. And his mouth. His smirk gives me the answer.

Embarrassed, I look away for him not to see that I'm blushing. I take out Soph's Romeo script, on which I already highlighted the lines. With a serious face on, I walk again to him and hand the script.

"Here", I begin. "You'll regret it."

"Why would you even say that?"

"You might fail."