Scene 34

CADEN & NINI

CADEN

"Hi, Mom!", I say, as soon as I see her face on the screen. She looks surprised as she sees me and gasps. I take the time to look at her. She's on the couch in our living room at home, probably reading a book since she has her glasses on. Her curly brown hair is up in a bun. Her brown eyes are clearly filled with joy that she's seeing me. I haven't video called her in some time.

"Caden!", she almost screams, and I check if my headphones are still in my ears. They are. That's good. I'm in the supermarket near the dorms, so it's filled with people I know and that recognize me. "Frank!" Mom continues screaming, calling out Dad's name. "Frank! It's Caden. He called me with video."

The next thing I hear are footsteps and in only a few seconds my Dad appears on the screen. He's in his usual shirts, his grey hair also styled just like I remember it.

"Son!", he says, as he sees me. "How are you?"

"Good. Yeah, I'm good", I say, although that's not really true. I'm actually worried since Nini just texted me she caught a cold and that it is really bad. Very worried.

Dad nods then looks a bit at me, probably analyzing. I also sneak a quick glance at my clothes. I am with my hockey hoodie, a pair of sweatpants and some sneakers, my hair still wet from training and my earbuds in my ears. Not exactly the look I would choose to show to my parents, but it will have to do.

"You're looking pale, Caden", Mom says after a while. "Have you eaten lately?"

"Is the training too hard, son?", Dad continues. I let out a sigh.

"I'm fine. I really am. I have eaten enough, and training is great."

"Alright", Mom answers, probably noticing I'm a little bit annoyed. "You know, we just want what's best for you, sweetie. And we miss you a lot."

"I know. I miss you too. But I'll be back home for Christmas."

"We can't wait to see you again, son", Dad replies. Mom continues: "Will Jacob be coming too? Or your girlfriend?"

I have to swallow hard, since Mom still thinks Tessa is my girlfriend.

"No, Jacob is going scuba diving with his parents in Australia", I say. I can see how my parents look surprised for a bit, but I am not anymore. I got used to him telling me about the craziest things he's done in his holidays. "And Tessa and I broke up a few months ago." I say, to clear up the air. I can see how my parents share a look and Mom begins saying:

"I am so sorry, honey. I know how hard that must have been..."

"It hasn't", I cut her short, even though it was a bit rude. I just don't want to start telling her about my messed-up love life right now. And definitely not in a supermarket, counting down the seconds until I can get to Nini to check on her.

"Mom, I've actually called you to ask you about something", I say. Mom nods and looks at Dad, who says: "See you soon, son", and walks out of the room. As she's alone, Mom turns to look back in the screen and asks:

"Anything. What is it, sweetie?"

"How can I make a chicken soup?"

Mom raises an eyebrow, making it clear this wasn't the question she's expected. After some time, she hides the shock away and continues: "Why do you need to make a chicken soup? Are you sick, honey?"

"No, not me. My girlfriend", I answer. It came so naturally out of me, that I didn't even realize what I said until after I said it. Mom's face turns surprised and I have to look around to see if someone was there and might have heard it. Luckily, I was alone. So, Tessa can't find out I said that, and the three months deadline can't begin.