Scene 14

NINI

If avoiding me would be an Olympic sport, Caden West would be the winner. He didn't show up at lunch in the cafeteria after he kissed me that day. He didn't show up for our rehearsals. Didn't text me. Didn't call me. It's like he makes everything in order for him to show me that our kiss was a mistake. Maybe it was. But I still can't stop thinking about it.

Which leaves me sitting on the couch in our living room three days later, 10 Things I Hate About You (only my favorite movie ever) playing in the background, cuddled with a blanket, wearing one of my comfy looks. A hoodie and a pair of sweatpants. I can't torture Soph with my whining since she's busy with Alec renovating a house. The guy bought her a freaking building as a present, for her to open herself her own art gallery. Talk about fine men. The two have been spending the whole summer turning the place to Soph's liking. My bestie asked me if I would like to go with them tonight, yet I wouldn't want to impose. I have an idea about how their renovation work looks like. Some paintings here, some kisses there... And I'm for sure not in the mood of third wheeling.

So, I decided to stick with the couch and my instant noodles.

"You look miserable", April says walking out of her room, wearing a very short white dress, that compliments her brown skin tone nicely. Her curly dark hair is also styled in a messy bun. Yet it doesn't look messy on her. It simply looks good.

"You don't", I reply. "Where are you going?"

"The frat party. At the Omega House. And you're coming with me", she says that coming closer and ending the movie.

"I was watching that, thank you very much", I say sarcastically. She gives the blanket off me and takes the instant noodles from my hands and my chopsticks, helping herself to my food.

"Dia and Nessie are double-dating with the guys. Soph is out with Alec. I'm not going there alone. You're coming with me."

"I'm busy. I'm crying", I reply, pointing to my face, for her to see the wrecked makeup on it. She sighs exhausted and rolls her eyes.

"I get it. I do. Caden acted like a jerk. But that doesn't mean you have to shut yourself off completely from the world and the people who care about you."

"Says the girl who wears I like to make boys cry T-Shirts..."

"Just because I have standards now doesn't mean I have never been heartbroken. I know it hurts like a bitch", April says. I look up at her to see how sad her eyes are.

"Who was he and can I kill him?" I ask, wanting to end the life of whoever made my girl cry.

"I'll send you his contacts", she answers smirking. Then, she makes some big puppy eyes to convince me: "Until then, would you please come with me."

I make no sign to answer.

"Pretty please", she insists.

"Fine", I give up. "But only for you."

She cheers once and gives me a hug. However, she quickly lets go and asks me: "When was the last time you showered, girl?"

I show her the middle finger, yet she does make a point. I was too sad to think of basic needs.

"I'd better shower", I say and head towards the bathroom. On the way, I can hear a laugh coming from where she's standing.

~

Twenty minutes later, I'm already showered and changed, wearing a short top and a pair of jeans paired with my sneakers. April really wanted me to wear something nicer, like a dress, yet I am not in the mood for it. So I just had to stick with the V-cut tank top she chose for me, saying it would make me look hot. Somehow, I also feel hot.