Scene 18

CADEN

I'm already sweating as I see Nini on stage. Of course, I had to screw up and be late. Because of course, Tessa came exactly on this morning to talk to me about our deal. This time however, we didn't end up making out. It didn't feel right. Which lead us to fighting. And me being late.

Nini is saying her lines, trying to cover up the fact she's disappointed. She hasn't seen me arrive yet and must believe I'm not coming anymore. Yet I came. And I will always come. No matter when or where.

It's her bestie who sees me and waves at me. I go in her direction and as I'm next to her, I can see she saved a seat for me in the row with her and all other Nini's friends. Alec is also there, standing next to his girlfriend, their fingers curled together.

"You came", Sofia says, pointing at the empty seat next to her.

"Of course I came. Thanks for saving me a seat", I say, sitting down. She smiles and replies:

"Well, of course. Nini really freaked out that you weren't here. I told her it would be okay."

I swallow hard, knowing I already started hurting her.

"Thank you", I answer, my voice a bit shaking. Sofia notices and gives me a reassuring look. I fake a smile, only not to upset her. And not just because Alec is giving me a death stare to warn me not to say anything wrong to her.

We focus back on Nini and I instinctively freeze. She looks gorgeous. Wearing a nice short red dress, that matches her hair and color of her lips beautifully, she is stunning. And all I want is to kiss her to make her understand it.

After Nini finished, another girl comes on stage, who's auditioning for the same role. But she doesn't compare to my girl. She doesn't have half the passion Nini had while saying those lines. I guess he jury noticed that too, since they started scribbling stuff on their notepads and mumbling to each other.

After a few more girls, it's time the decision is made. First, the jury decides who gets to be Romeo. I guess the guys auditioned at the time I was still running my way from my dorm room to the auditorium, after being held up by Tessa. The jury agrees on some dude called Lance Glenn, who gives us all a thankful look and goes to shake the judges' hands. He looks okay. Blonde hair, brown eyes... He still doesn't have what it takes to be Nini's Romeo does. Only one person has. Me.

Next, the potential Juliets are called. Nini still doesn't notice me. The lights are only focused on the stage, so there is no way one can see anything that happens in the seats from there. The jury gives a very heart-warming speech that only makes me wish it were over. I just want to see my girl get her role and be happy.

"So, for the final decision of the day", one of the judges says, standing up from where he was sitting, "the Juliet and hereby the female lead of the show is..." He pauses for suspense which doesn't help at all, since all I want is to know the answer. I'm sweating hard and almost shaking, fact which Sofia notices. She smiles at me with a knowing look.

She's smart. She figured out that Nini started to grow on you.

However, she's as nervous as I am. I can see the way Alec notices and curls their fingers tighter, whispering words to calm her down in her ear. She smiles at him and looks back at the stage. Nini's other friends are as nervous, April holding an "You got it, girl" poster above her head, the brunette with the headphones on playing with her fingers nervous and the black-haired one constantly playing with a strand of her hair.

"Nina Elway", the judge says and I sigh relaxed. Her friends start shouting and all stand up. I can see how Nini starts crying and whispering thank you the whole time. I also stand up and start applauding her. So does Alec. Since Nini can't see anything that happens in the audience seats, her friends rush on stage and give her a big group hug. She smiles and immediately relaxes, having them close by. They start saying stuff to each other that I can't understand from where I am sitting, yet I can see Nini smile. And that's all I need.