Scene 26

NINI

As he walks out of the changing room and sees me, he opens his arms wide and makes space for me. He's wearing a plain white T-Shirt he had probably borrowed from one of the guys on the team, since I am the one wearing his hoodie. I didn't want to take it at first, but I don't regret the decision one bit looking back at it. His hoodie is by far my favorite thing now. His name feels good. His number feels good on me. The hoodie also smells all minty and fresh, exactly like him. I caught myself taking a few deep breaths just for the scent to fill me in. I love this hoodie. And if he ever planned on taking it back, he must rethink those plans. I'm keeping it.

I run to him and he lifts me up. I wrap my feet around his waist and I can feel his hand placed protective on my waist.

"Congratulations", I whisper as he's kissing the top of my head. Wrencore won the game. Obviously. How couldn't they when they have a captain as good as him. I knew that Caden is good on the ice even from before I saw this game tonight. The whole university talks about it. But after this game, I understood there is an actual reason people call him a hockey legend. The way he moves on the ice. So confident, every one of his moves perfectly planned. It just makes me wear his name even prouder.

"Thank you", he whispers, his lips brushing my ear. "Did you see the last one? I scored it for you."

He did indeed. The moment the puck reached the gate, he lifted his stick up and drew a heart in the air, pointed in my direction. It left the crowd staring at me and my friends smirking. And butterflies. Many many butterflies.

"Thank you", I answer, not knowing how one reacts to something like this. No one has scored something for me before. How do you even answer?!

"No problem. I've told you, you are mine, Broadway", he replies smiling. Then, he softly brushes his lips on mine, whispering my nickname. I meanwhile started getting why all the girls in the romcoms love having a nickname. It has something to it. Like to the world, you are someone. But to him, you are someone else. His world. Broadway. I meanwhile got to the point I only love when he calls me Broadway or mine.

After he teases me with a few soft brushes, he pulls me closer and starts kissing me. Passionate. Hungry. As if he would like to prove what he just said. I deepen the kiss until his scent is the only thing I feel. And his touch. The soft sound he makes as I bite his bottom lip. My need for air as he starts exploring my mouth.

"West", I can hear a new voice calling after him. We stop, yet he's still holding me in the air. And doesn't seem to want to let me down.

I turn around and see a tall guy with some white-blonde hair looking at us smirking. He is obviously taller than I am. But that doesn't surprise me. Caden is also damn tall. Probably a 6 feet 1 or something. Giant, compared to my itty bitty five feet five.

It doesn't take me much to find out the guy's name. Not when it's literally written on his back, along with number 29.

"James", Caden greets him, not using the name I saw on the back. Ruth. Okay, so apparently, they don't call him by his surname.

James stares from Caden to me, back to Caden then back to me. Then, he turns to Caden and says: "It does." I give Caden a what-the-heck look, yet he only chuckles.

"It does", Caden repeats that phrase, sure of himself. I still don't get what they are talking about, yet I try not to mind. James must have noticed, since he now turns to me.

"Hey there. I'm James. James Ruth."

"Hi", I say putting on a polite smile. "I'm Nini. Nini Elway."

"It's nice to meet you", he says. Then turns back to Caden: "See you later at the party, cap?"