Scene 42

NINI

Caden has been acting strange all week. Ever since that talk with Tessa. He told me nothing happened and that everything is fine, but I know it isn't. It can't be. Not with him always protecting me and checking where I am. Or the way he kisses me every time like it could be the last time.

Something happened.

Which is why I'm now standing up from the couch, with an idea in my mind. We are in his dorm room, watching a movie, yet it's clear his focus lies elsewhere. So, I decided to do something more exciting with him.

"Hey Caden", I begin and he immediately looks at me, meeting my eyes.

"Yes, Broadway?"

"Wanna go to a party?"

"What?!" he asks, clearly in shock.

"There's a party at the Delta house. We could go."

He raises an eyebrow skeptical: "Don't you want to watch the movie?"

"I do", I answer honest. "But I also want to go there. Of course, if you'd also want to."

He looks at me questioning and I only nod to back up what I just said. He gives up and stands ip, coming closer to me and pulling me in his arms. "Let's go to the party", he whispers before kissing me. I can't help but chuckle.

~

Twenty minutes later we're entering the Delta House. I can already feel everyone's eyes in our direction, better said in Caden's. They didn't expect to see him here tonight. The hockey legend honouring them with his presence.

Even if involuntarily, their gaze slides to me after they noticed him. And their reactions are two: jealousy or admiring. Some look at me jealous that I'm the one who gets to be holding Caden's hand. Some look at us dreamy, admiring our love.

Their stares make me nauseous.

As if he could notice, Caden places his hand on my waist, the warmth giving me the protection I need. I look at him thankfully and he bends down to kiss me.

"Remember, you're the only one in this room I have eyes for. The only one in the world", he whispers while brushing his lips on my ear. It tickles me, so I giggle. But my body is filled with butterflies.

Some guys from Caden's team come greet him and lead us to a table where they were playing some beer pong. Caden gives me a questioning look whether it would be okay for me if he joins. I agree, hoping this could lift his mood from the past days up a bit. Exactly as I am about to walk away from the table, someone places an arm on my shoulder. I flinch, yet the moment I turn to see who it is, I quickly have the person in a hug.

"April!" I say and my best friend smiles, an honest smile, showing how happy she is to see me.

"Girl, I didn't know you were coming", she says, her hands still wrapped around me.

"Yeah, it was kinda last minute", I answer chuckling. She smiles brighter.

"Well, I am glad you're here. Wanna go dance?", she asks me. I immediately nod and let her take my wrist, leading me to the dance floor.

~

If one thing is sure, one simply can't be bored when with April. The girl is the party. We dance the whole time, laughing and talking together. We spin around and try out every dance move we know. We only stop as soon as Tessa crashes our good time, appearing right in front of us.

"Nina. Davis", she greets us, smirking. A chill goes down my spine and April's eyes narrow on spot.

"Tessa. I didn't know you were invited", April replies for the both of us, her voice lacking of any feelings, however sending warnings. I know this voice only from when she is practicing debates in our living room.