Scene 41

CADEN

"So, you wanted to talk to me", Tessa says, placing her hands on her hips. "What would you prefer? English? Maybe, French", she continues, biting her bottom lip while smirking. I'm so close to puking on spot. Yet I have to continue.

"Why were you talking to Nini?" I ask her, my voice hopefully as cold as I intended it to be. 

She licks her lollipop again and answers: "Oh, nothing special. Just wanted some chitchat. Girl talk."

I take a deep breath and clench my fist together to help with the anger. I could catch fire any moment now. One. Two. Three. Deep breath. "Why. Were. You. Talking. To. Nini?"

"I already told you. Girl talk."

"Girl talk my ass", I let out. She smirks.

"She said you two made love. I hardly believe it to be true. Not with your taste in women", Tessa adds.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, come on. We all know you only like a certain type. She is definitely not that. Well, lucky for you, you have lesser than a month before you get rid of her."

I swallow hard. Then take a deep breath. "I'm not coming back together with you, Tessa. Not now. Not ever."

She sighs out loud, visibly shocked. "What?! You promised!"

"Yeah, well, plans changed."

"And may I ask why the hell they changed?"

I really tried to make myself not say it out loud. Yet I can't otherwise. "I love her", I whisper. She doesn't hear or doesn't want to hear, since she asks: "Excuse me? Could you say that again."
I'm more confident as I repeat: "I love her. I'm not coming back together with you because I fell in love with her."

"No", Tessa lets out, coming more of like a scream. "No, no, no."

"Yes", it's all I can reply.

"But why?! How?! She doesn't even look pretty. She has a blank face, her style is barely tolerable, her smile disgusting. Not to mention what a bitch she is."

I clench my fist harder, trying my best not to do something I might regret. "I would stop talking if I were you", I tell her, my voice deadpanned. Yet she gets the hint of rage that was hidden in it and decides to continue.

"Why? Because I'm saying the truth? We both know it, Caden, no need to pretend."

All I'm seeing is dark. However, I still somehow manage to speak: "Pay attention what you say about my girlfriend."

Tessa's jaw drops. She mustn't have believed I actually meant it when I said I love Nini. But I do. I meant every word. I love Nini. I love her. I can't imagine any other person I would rather spend the rest of my life with. She's it for me. She's the one I want to see smiling for the rest of my life. And I mean it. I could never imagine living a single day without her. She's the one that brings me to life. A life without her isn't a life at all. It's a nightmare.

"The fuck I will", Tessa snaps. "You wouldn't even dare snap a finger at me."

I swallow hard. Because she used to be right. I was so blinded by what I thought we could be that I forgot to see the reality. The fact that our relationship, if anyone could even call it like that, wasn't about love at all. The only good time we had with each other was in bed. Rest of the times, we were fighting. With Nini, it's not like that. I obviously enjoy the times we make love, I adore them, but I also adore the times we just spend with each other. Late night drives, movie nights, cooking together...

"I think you underestimate me, Tessa. If I were you, I wouldn't want to find out what would happen."

"Are you honestly threatening me right now?" she asks, her voice filled with rage and amusement.

"I am", I answer matter-of-factly. Every hint of amusement dies from her face. It puts me in advantage: "I am. And let me make one thing clear. Touch my girlfriend, talk to her again, and I will make your life a living nightmare. A fucking nightmare. So, stay away from her. And consider our deal officially ended. I quit."

"You do understand how a deal works, right?" she asks me, rolling her eyes.

"I guess I do. There are some things each side needs to do. And there are some terms and conditions. I'm pretty sure you broke them the moment you decided to come close to Nini."

Silence. Then, she says: "Our deal isn't over yet."

"Think of it however you want, I'm not a part of it anymore."

It's her who clenches her fingers now. She takes a deep breath, then smirks. And whispers: "You'll regret this."
And without leaving me the chance to say something back, she turns around and leaves.