Scene 25

CADEN

It's right before break that I spot it. An intense red in the crowd. Some strands flying in the air, as someone moves their head.

I blink once, yet the red is gone.

"Everything okay, man?" James comes skating closer to me, noticing how I must have frozen for a few seconds.

"Yeah, all good", I say, trying to shake off the feeling and focus on the game. It is a very important game for our team. Wrencore against Westview. Another Ivy League in Los Angeles. One would think Wrencore is the only university which gathered all the stars, from princesses to billionaires and influencers, yet Westview also has its pride. Michael Hayes, a famous pop star. James Winsgate, owner of the most prestigious men fashion house. All names that one can't look past when thinking about Westview.

The only name I can't look past right now is Ellerie. Simon Ellerie. The guy who slammed one of my guys' face with the stick then pushed him on the ice. Hugh, the one who got the hit, is now sitting on the bench, an icepack pressed to his cheek, looking at us begging to win. Because hitting Ellerie wouldn't pain him as much as losing the game would.

I try to forget the red hair I saw in the stands and focus on winning. I owe that to Hugh. I fight my way to the puck and soon I have it in my control. This is the reason I love hockey. The speed, the rush, that instinct of having to be the best. It all gives me more adrenaline than anything ever could. And it makes me feel alive.

The puck is soon making its way to our opponents' gate. And we scored.

The crowd goes wild. Flags showing out university's logo fly in the air, someone starts chanting, some start calling my name.

The adrenaline kicks again.

Yet I've learned so far. No celebrating until the last points were scored. Anything can happen while we're still on the ice. You're the winner only in the end. Until then, you fight.

A voice fills the room announcing the break. And that's when I see it again.

Looking around the room, I see the red strands flying in the air again. This time as well, I look away and they're gone.

I don't think I've started hallucinating. Yet, I also don't think I saw what I wanted to see. Nini doesn't even know about the game. I learned through my relationship with Tessa that telling the girl about the games only brings conflicts. So, I stopped doing that. Nini couldn't possibly be here. It must be someone else.

James appears behind me again and must have noticed I look all confused: "You okay, cap?"

"Yeah, I'm fine", I lie. He notices. We skate together off the ice and to our coach, who claps hands with us and congratulates us for how we've played so far. Given the fact the break takes 30 minutes since they have to fix something on the ice, I give off my helmet and go with my hand through my wet hair. I sweated a lot and can also feel the sweat on my forehead. I go followed by James to my bag which lies on the benches, take out a small towel and wipe out my forehead. I don't carry much in my bag. Only the clothes I will be changing in after taking off my jersey, my water bottle, a protein bar for after the game and my phone. As soon as I place my towel back inside, I turn to look at the stands again. They are filled with people, both from Wrencore and Westview, so it's almost impossible to find somebody.

"Have you seen a redhead over there?" I ask James. He smirks, probably imagining what I must be thinking, and turns his eyes to the stands, to help me search.

I'm scanning the seats as he asks me: "Why? Do you suddenly think a redhead would suit you?"

Jackpot. My eyes land on the searched person. Nini is standing somewhere on the west wing of the arena, wearing a navy-blue sweater, that matches our team's color. She paired it with a pair of jeans, that show off her curves beautifully. Her hair is put together in a ponytail, giving her a very athletic look. She looks gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.