Scene 13

NINI

It's after a few minutes that I decide to do something that might actually help with my state. I take out my phone and text my bestie.

ME: SOPH

ME: Code RED

Code RED is our nickname for an emergency that requires instant help. Hence why her reply comes in a just in a few seconds.

SOPH: Oh my gosh, Nini, are you okay?!

ME: Nope.

SOPH: Are you hurt? Kidnapped?

ME: No. But my heart is.

I take a few seconds to realise how incredibly poetic my answer was. Soph must have been thinking the same, since she replies:

SOPH: You really need to back up on the Shakespeare stuff.

You kiss by the book...

ME: I know.

I sigh, before I look to see her reply.

SOPH: Where are you?

ME: In the auditorium.

SOPH: Alright. Miss Delacroix is lecturing us right now, but I'll be there as soon as I can.

Miss Delacroix is Soph's economics teacher. My bestie is an International Relations major, as expected from a princess. She told me she didn't have any other choice, since that was the only major she was allowed to move out of Cordelia for.

ME: Thanks, babe. See you soon!

SOPH: See you <3

I lie back down on the stage and close my eyes, waiting for my bestie to arrive.

~

It doesn't take long til I see Soph rushing inside the auditorium, with Darrel on her tail. Darrel is Soph's private bodyguard, and not my number-one fan. Let's just say, he doesn't quite like that I keep doing fun stuff with Soph, that he sees as dangerous. Last time he got mad on me for example, was in the Summer holiday. Soph and I used her private jet to go to Paris and we might have forgotten to tell him. Not only Darrel got worried, but also Alec, who had a full-time panic attack, since he didn't know where his girlfriend was and he thought she got kidnapped. He tried to call us yet we both forgot our phones and were unreachable. Adam, his best friend, had to track us down through his security company. Darrel wasn't happy. So, as I said, not my number-one fan.

"Oh, babe", Soph says, seeing me on stage. I look a bit up to get a better look of her. She's wearing one of her puffy cocktail dresses and her loafers, giving her every right to call herself a fashion icon. Somehow, she is. She has even been invited to the last Fashion Week, and not just because she is a princess, but because she's also a model.

Soph lies down next to me and takes my hand, curling our fingers together. "What happened?", she asks me in a whisper tone.

I close my eyes to stop the tears from rolling and I mumble: "Caden kissed me."

"I'm sorry, what?!" she asks, so I repeat, in a louder tone.

"Caden. Kissed. Me."

She nods replying: "No, I've heard you the first time, I just didn't believe it."

"Oh, thanks", I reply sarcastically. She feels sorry since she quickly adds:

"No, nothing against you, I just didn't know there's something going on between you two."

"There isn't", I say, since I also wasn't aware we had a thing.

"But he kissed you..." Soph repeats what I've said.

"Yes."

"Why?"

I talk her through the whole rehearsal thing, the way he watched every Matthew McConaughey movie for me and our dialogue as Juliet and Romeo. When I'm done, Soph only stares at me with her eyes wide open and lets out an "Wow".

"I know..." I reply lost in thoughts.

"Maybe he likes you."

"I don't know."

"But do you like him?"

"I don't know that either."

"Oh, come on. You do like him. You always have that look when he's around."

"What look?"

"That look", Soph says, trying to copy me by doing a very intense flirting look.

"I don't have that look."

"Oh, but you do", she answers chuckling. I slowly hit her with my elbow in her ribcage, which makes Darrel stand up alerted. We both look past it and only chuckle harder.

"Maybe you should just let things be. See what he says after the whole kiss", she suggests, and although I'm not super happy with the advice, it's the best one I have so far.

"What if he was just playing around?"

"Then, you'll be able to say you made out with Caden freaking West." Soph says smirking. I first don't process her words, but when I do, I only start smirking.

"I made out with Caden freaking West."

"See! That's my girl!" she says, helping me up. I'm still lost in thoughts, so I remain on the floor.

"Do you think he'll make a next move?"

"I don't know. Men are stupid when it comes to love."

I look at her with an eyebrow raised: "What about Alec?"

"Well, he also screwed up once, when we were at the beginning of our relationship. But just because they are stupid at first, doesn't mean they can't learn."

"And now?"

Her mouth turns in a smile: "Now, he's the best guy a girl can wish for. Yesterday, he brought me heart-shaped pancakes he made himself to bring me luck at my Latin test. As I said, love makes people learn and be better. I'm sure Caden will do the same."

I take her hand and stand up. "Thanks, babe."

"No problem", she answers and takes me by my arm. "That's what friends are for."

I lose it and give her a hug. She smiles and pulls me closer.

"I bet you liked the kiss", she whispers into my ear and I blush. She smirks: "Of course you did. I'm gonna need more details."

I take her by her arm and lead her outside the auditorium and to the cafeteria, telling her all about our kiss on the way.

She smiles as if she knows what I'm thinking of.

I need more of Caden West.