The Circle

As soon as we arrived home, Alex quickly reached the door and opened it in seconds; abandoning his shoes and bag, he rushed into the living room. No doubt eager to play video games.

Seri and I barely got through the door before I could hear the start-up of his console. Taking off our shoes, Seri started asking,

"Is it okay if I use-" "Use the shower?" I cut her off.

"Seraphina, it's a Thursday ritual. I'd be insulted if you didn't." I jested.

She grinned back.

"You better go in now; your hair takes ages to dry," I remarked.

Walking to the door under the stairs. I waved my palm left, directly over the wood, while whispering.

"Chamborium."

I grabbed the handle and opened it to the guest bedroom with an ensuite.

"Thank you!" she bubbled, going through the door.

She already knew where everything was, including her towel.

"I'll be out in 20!" she finished.

'More like 45,' I thought, chuckling.

Moving into the kitchen, I spotted some freshly baked cinnamon cookies. Mums cookies! I seized the opportunity to take a bite.

Mmm, yummy!

__________

Seri shut the door behind her and took a deep breath. She and Lexi were as thick as thieves from the day they met and always will be. Although, something nagged her in her chest, did she really know Lexi? She felt there was a gap, no, a crevice between them.

Did she imagine it?

Was there something Lexi wasn't saying?

Seri had often thought it on and off, even before her grandma passed away four years ago, but waved it off. Pessimistic thoughts get you nowhere.

Reasons unbeknownst to her, the feeling would return tenfold. It disturbed her to no end. It irked her not to know her best friend as much as she should.

She shook off the irrational feeling and carried on into the ensuite with a towel.

___________

I pulled the car up to the dropped curb, blocking Devan's car; the time read 18:00 on the dashboard. Seri, Alex and I all but jumped out of the car when we arrived. Casually leaning against the small fence, Quinn waved and folded her arms onto the beam.

"On time, this time," Seri chirped.

"Congrats, want a medal?" ribbed Quinn with a raised eyebrow. Alex hastily disappeared inside to his friends.

I followed him into the kitchen.

Looking behind me, I asked, "Usual place?"

"Yeah, take this with you." Quinn handed me a full thermos. Touching it, I picked up on runny honey; this was Quinn's favourite, Honey Tea.

"Don't drink it all at once this time!" I teased, smiling at her.

She laughed, pushing my back towards the backdoor.

"It's supposed to get colder tonight. Don't want the flu now!" she stated, "I had enough of Devan when he was 'dying'." Using her fingers to quote.

Looking outside, I saw our small group at a dainty table, chairs almost carelessly stuck in the middle of the grass. Devan's back garden is broad. The far back was full of privet, leading into the natural forest behind his house. It gave the perfect cover for our weekly circles.