The Abbey By Night

I kept the string with me and dangled it once I reached the top of the steps, I was surprised that I was now shaking, the adrenaline was building, all I could hear is my heartbeat in my ears

The makeshift pendulum swung in a circle. No matter which direction I faced, it would not give a location to Quinn.

I shook my head in frustration, "We will have to split up. She's somewhere around here."

"I'll take the graveyard and church," Lathen volunteered, walking away.

"I'll go around the history building and the wall of the abbey," Leo said.

"Be careful, don't approach them alone," he warned

I agreed and kissed him, "Call me if you find anything."

"Likewise."

Sneaking past security was easy with a quick Obscuravale spell. Walking towards the abbey, it was pitch black, even the spotlights that would light up the ruins were turned off. No shadows lurked; no people stood—just silence.

Normally one would find a picturesque quiet night, bliss. However, a missing friend and vampires out for blood ruined the mood.

"Illumi," I whispered blinking.

A spell I came across in my grandma's Bos, slowly the grounds became clearer, a spell to see in the dark better.

I lifted the necklace and with a small rush of magic, it spun... and spun... still nothing. I sighed and decided to move forward towards the ruins.

Cold metal touched my neck, and I froze as an arm wrapped around my abdomen, halting my step. I small gasp escaped me and I internally cursed myself for not paying attention.

"Hello, Lexi," they greeted.

"Megan," I replied, putting my hands up in defeat, "Where's Quinn?"

"She's fine for now. Luckily, you showed up. We need another supply."

She words sent a cold shiver down my spine...

'Another supply?'

The bad feeling I had, grew tenfold...

Megan moved forward, picking my neck with the knife. I hissed in pain and felt a small trickle move down my neck. I let her guide me from behind.

"How did you get tangled up in all this?" I asked, calmly.

"Shut up," she hissed, "I always knew there was something off about you."

"How's your grandmother?"

Megan did not reply only sighed heavily and pushed me forward a little bit too roughly.

We came to the large doorway south of the abbey.

She stopped us at the entryway. I looked down the vast grassy area. It was empty, there was still only us two around.

"Dracula," Maddie announced.

The blank archway shivered and seemed to melt away. I scoffed internally at the irony as the concealment lowered. I had to blink as it got brighter.

Behind it was a scene that would haunt my dreams for life.

There in the centre, Quinn laid. Her hands and legs were bound behind her. Her neck and jaw were covered in her own blood. Her eyes widened as her eyes met mine, she realised another joined her. Her loud words muffled by tape, but she was protesting.