Unwanted Guest

I sat with my back against the bark, reading the last of my book over lunch. Others entirely took over our usual table, but as the days slowly warmed up, it was pleasant to be outside.

Leo lounged with his head on my lap, and I absentmindedly ran my hands through his hair while reading. The tree provided shade but with the right amount of light for reading. Seri and Devan were sat in front of us, sharing answers for their Maths homework. Quinn had decided to track down Lathen and have 'a chat' in her words.

A chorus of cheers broke the ambience. Looking up, it was the cheer team moving into the grassy area. Turning the page, I noticed Tiffany being lifted into the air and carried by the football team to the field.

We were all looking at the commotion.

'Tiffany must have been made head cheer.'

I had seen Tiffany many times at Jack's Hideout, and it didn't take long to figure out she was part of the werewolf family. She was an extrovert not to mention her brother and their pack. She would make a great leader for the cheer team.

I placed my hand back on Leo's hair and continued to read.

"What's all that about?" Leo asked.

The voice of Quinn made an unexpected entrance, "Tiffany is the new head cheerleader."

She stood looking over at the crowd, and a sheepish Lathen stood behind her, looking in my direction... It was Leo he was watching.

Devan greeted, "Hey, bro."

Lathen nodded in response.

"Sorry, I didn't return your calls. I needed some time," he replied to Devan.

"No problem. It's been a weird couple of weeks. I think we've all needed time," he stated.

Quinn nudged Lathen's shoulder, and she sat down near Devan and Seri.

"Lexi? Can I talk to you?"

I took a stealthy, deep breath as Leo moved to sit up. Walking away from the group, I stayed in the open.

"What's up?" I turned to Lathen.

He motioned to walk further, but I knew the others couldn't hear us.

"No. I'm fine here, thanks," I said, crossing my arms.

He took a moment. "I need to apologise," he admitted, putting his hands in his pockets, "For losing my cool when we were talking."

Talking. I kept my silence and waited for him to continue.

"I'm sorry things got heated and for upsetting you. I also should not have left like that. It was cowardly."

"Do you and I have the same recollection of this 'talk'?" I asked sternly, my heart began to speed up and anxiety rose.

He sighed, "I'm not sorry for kissing you."

"Then there's nothing to talk about."

I started to walk away, but he grabbed my arm gently to stop me.

"Wait, please, Lexi."

I returned to him, "You crossed a line, Lathen. I did not want that."

"I was a douche, I know. But-" "There should not be a 'but' in that sentence."

He continued anyway, "I wanted you to know how much I care for you."

'Hilarious way of showing it.'

"You basically told me I was a liar, and my feelings weren't real. I was frustrated at Leo getting close to you so quickly. I took a shot," he defended.