Glamour Spells

Contrary to Quinn's comment about the weather, the night chill did not drop in temperature. We were slowly drying out from our late-night trip. My hair was slightly damp and wild as we returned to Devan's house through the tree line. I noticed a painful knot in Seri's hair. Ouch.

Hopping onto the back porch, I could see Travis Treent, Devan's father, still giving his lesson to the trio: Alex, Brandt and Lana. I overheard the discussion, Glamours and how to break them.

Although the five of us were on our own, we were still learning. You are taught the basics, protection spells, glamours and runes alike, until age sixteen. From that, you can discover your path; you learn what interests you and what you think will be helpful. Having a large coven, talking with one another and being able to clarify things creates a great learning environment. A safe one, too.

For the most part.

_____________

Devan went into the house first, taking off his still-wet shoes. Following suit, Heaven stopped me, Devan's mother. She spoke softly and placed a hand on my shoulder,

"Lexi? Can I borrow you for a minute? We've found something that should be yours."

Like Devan, she was kind, heartwarming, and easy to talk to. Slightly smaller than I, she had a more auburn hair colour and caramel eyes, which conveniently Brandt had, a mamma's boy.

Previously, my grandmother lived in this house before she passed away four years ago, and the place went up for sale. The Treents needed more space, and my parents were more than happy for them to purchase it. Often, we have left things behind by accident. I thought this was such an occasion.

"Yeah, not a problem," I replied happily, following Heaven.

_______________

She took me into their library room. The door was closed, but my weakened senses perked up. Something familiar was behind this door.

It was calling to me.

'This has never happened before.'

She opened the door, and a book was sitting innocently on an office desk. A brown leather-bound book with yellowing withered pages, this was old and used well.

My grandma's signature was all over it—her book of shadows.

It was most likely filled with private encounters, dreams, spells and family history. Usually, the book is passed down to grandchildren for them to learn from, like an heirloom.

________

I brushed my hand over it, recalling seeing it open with scrawling on every page. A sad smile came to my lips. Although I saw it many times, I was never given it. I never owned it.

It usually was shared from the age of 16 or was passed down before death. My dad's mother had dementia. She had hidden it and could not remember or did not want to tell where it was, why we didn't know. She never mentioned the book nor the reason in her will either.

__________

"Where did you find this?" I whispered, turning back to look at Heaven standing near the door.

"Right underneath your feet. Wrapped in silk and hidden in a glamour," she said back softly and motioned to the floorboards.

I unwrapped the binding on the side and flipped it to the long back page. A family tree is present. The last entry was 'Alexander', my brother. My father's name is still in black ink, linked with my mother's name. My grandad's name was scratched out.