Father's Daughter

The sun had now risen, and it was a more acceptable time to call her family.

Using Lexi's phone, he called her uncle and chewed his thumbnail. It was the only one he had left, but it helped prepare him mentally.

"Hello, Lexi!" the cheery voice of Keiron rang through.

"Hi, sorry, it's Leo."

Leo surprised even himself with how calm he sounded.

"Ah, not a problem! What's up? Has Quinn drawn some more pictures for me to look at?"

"No, but... You were right about the ruins being Whitby Abbey," Leo sniffed, taking a deep breath.

"What? How do you know that?" Leo could hear the confusion in his voice.

Clearing his throat, Leo confessed carefully, "The two people were Lexi and Quinn. I'm at the hospital."

Keiron stuttered, "S–She didn't. No, she...She couldn't have, but..."

"Vampires took Quinn and then Lexi. Quinn nearly died," his voice nearly broke at the mention of Lexi.

Keiron took a deep breath, "Is Lexi dead?"

"No," Leo replied quickly, "The doctor has some hope, but she is in a coma."

"Shit... Have you told her mum yet?"

"No, but I wi-"

"I will do it. Let me handle my sister. Stay with Lexi and let us know when we can visit, right?"

"Okay. I'll keep you updated."

Leo hung up and moved on to Seri.

Before the second ring, it was answered, "Hello? Lexi?"

"Sorry..." he sniffed.

He would not cry, he told himself.

"Ah... Hi Leo."

Voices scrambled on the other side; he was on loudspeaker.

"How's it going bud?" Devan's voice sounded through.

"I..." Leo struggled with his words, "I don't know." Leo summarised what the doctors had said to him, and the procedures Lexi had.

He could hear Quinn blubbering in the background.

"Do they know if she will wake up?"

"I haven't asked. For now, she had improved from when she first came in, but I quote, 'It's up to her to wake up...'."

No one asked a question. All Leo could hear was sighs and groans.

"How are you holding up Quinn?" Leo asked sadly.

She hiccupped, "I'm fine... just fine. Stupid Lexi, why?"

"Shh... I know," Devan said further away.

"Listen," Seri's voice was closer, "Let us know if we can come and visit. We will bring her favourite sweets. Right?"

A chorus of 'Yeahs.'

"Oh! And you some food."

"That would be great. I will let you know. Bye."

"See ya!"

That was harder than he expected. He sniffed and wiped his eyes before going in.

Seri

Although Seri was chirpy towards the end, she did nothing but cry and hug Quinn as they distressed together.