1. | Cyber Tech

I sigh as I walk through the door to my house

Work today has just been exhausting. So many karens, so much bitching, so much working. There was a shortage of staff today, leaving me to do almost all the work.

I slip off my coat, hanging it on the wall. I set my keys and my bag down on the small table beside the door. My phone rings. I pick it up, not bothering to look at the ID.

"Hey, Naomi. How was your day?" My best friend, Maya, speaks into the phone.

I sigh, walking into my kitchen. I set my phone down, Maya on speaker. "Exhausting. There was a shortage of staff, so me and Emily had to do all the work." I open my fridge and grab a water bottle.

"Damn. You should really get some sleep. I know you barely get enough of it as it is." She says.

I sigh, opening the bottle and taking a drink. "I'd get more sleep, but I can barely afford rent and my boss is a complete ass, who won't give me a raise or overtime. Working two jobs is difficult, but I'll manage."

"Nai, you have to find a good paying job. Try to find one at a big company. I hear Artifex pays well." She suggests.

I grimace. "Have you heard about all the scandals with that company? Absolutely not."

Artifex is the worst place to work. There have been way too many scandals.

Blah blah blah Ripped Off the Boss!

Artifex in Debt?

Abusive Boss?

Supposed Rapist at Artifex.

Money Stolen From Artifex!

Yeah, absolutely not.

I sigh. "Look, I'm going to get off here. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Ok, Nai. But don't forget about our coffee date." The thought of seeing her tomorrow brings a smile to my face. I haven't seen her in three months, since she moved away.

"Bye." She repeats the word and hangs up.

I take my water with me and walk upstairs. My house is a four bedroom. A library, an office, my room, and a guest room. I don't have guests very often, but I like to be prepared. Sometimes I'll have a brother or a friend stay over.

I enter my bedroom and shut the door, ready to go to bed after my shower. I set my water bottle down on my nightstand, along with my phone. I turn on my table lamp with a click.

"So, I hear I'm an ass?" I jump at the sound of his voice, spinning in his direction. My boss currently sits in the swing near the corner of my room, a book in his lap with his ankle crossed over his opposite knee. He's not looking at me, but the book as he flips through the pages.