24. | Fianceé

Rhys steps toward me, his hand on my cheek

Rhys steps toward me, his hand on my cheek. We stand in my kitchen, our dishes gone and my heart racing.

No words are said, but none need to be.

We both want this. It's no secret.

He leans closer to me, my eyes fluttering closed. "Naomi." He whispers. "Naomi." He whispers again, this time my brows furrowing.

"Naomi, there's a fire!"

I jump up from my sleep. "What?! What?! Fire? What?!" I stumble, almost tripping over my chair.

Lindsey giggles. "Man, you are fun to scare. I understand why Mason and Rhys did it now."

I rub my face, struggling to register her words. "What?"

"You fell asleep again." She places a hand on her hip. "This is the...fifth...time?" She pretends to think about it. "Now including the zoning out..." She purses her lips.

I roll my eyes, turning away. "How long was I out?"

"Don't know." She shrugs. "You were asleep when I got here. And when you never woke up, I took my chance."

I give her a sarcastic smile. "Where's Rhys?"

"He left."

"He what? He-He doesn't have any meetings, does he?" I push my hair out of my face, searching my desk for my tablet. I find it and open his calendar. "Th-There's no meetings." My brows furrow. "Wh—"

"Family emergency."

"Why didn't he wake me?"

"He tried." She says blankly. "Turns out, you're a heavy sleeper."

I rub my hands over my face, moving my hands to push my hair back. It's been like this all week. I can't focus, I can't think straight. And he's not making it any easier.

The looks he gives me. The small, simple touches. His hand on my lower back, the brushes against my hand. Whenever he's around, I can sense it.

"Are you sleeping at night?" Her voice is blank, showing no concern.

"Sort've." No. I can't stop thinking about Rhys and that moment in my kitchen. "I'm going for a walk." I tell, grabbing my phone and slipping on my jacket as I walk to the elevator.

***

Yesterday, I got Rhys coffee and he noticed I didn't have my hair up. While I hadn't gotten to it yet, I was surprised he had even noticed. But what shocked me the most was that he offered to do my hair for me.

I told him 'yes', and he had me sit down on one of the couches. He braided my hair and when he finished, he set the braid over my shoulder.

I turned to face him, brows creased. "Where'd you learn how to braid?"