42. | Willing to Wait

I finally have a day off, so now I can stop living off of quick meals and actually go to the store for food

I finally have a day off, so now I can stop living off of quick meals and actually go to the store for food. Rhys also gave me a raise in salary, probably because he knew I was going to the store.

I keep my hood and facemask on, not wanting to be recognized by anyone. It's like I'm a celebrity. I can feel people's eyes on me as I shop, filling my cart with food.

"Are they going to rob this place?" I hear a girl whisper.

"Maybe it's just someone who doesn't want to be recognized." Another woman offers. I sigh, putting the boxes of Mac and Cheese in the cart and rolling it away.

For the most part, people mind their business, shopping and chatting amongst each other. I take my cart to check out. While I wait in line, going through my notifications, I answer emails, some about the upcoming fundraiser.

My turn comes up and I set my food on the conveyor belt. She scans and bags while giving me side glances. I pull out my wallet, handing her my card. She scans it and I take my card back, grabbing my groceries and putting them in my cart.

I walk out, popping the trunk of one of Rhys's many, many cars. I put the bags inside, then shut the truck and climb inside.

Thankfully, the windows are tinted, so I take off my hood and mask. I turn on the radio to drown out the silence and pull out of the parking lot. I sigh as I drive, wanting to just get home. I park a little ways away from the house, in case I have anyone loitering on my front lawn.

I carry my bags in from the back door, setting them on my island. "Hey."

I jump at his voice. "Jesus Christ." I whisper, pressing a hand over my heart. "You're gonna give me a heart attack."

"Sorry." He walks to me, pressing a kiss to my cheek.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well, it's your day off. I'm off. See where I'm going with this?" He kisses my neck, and I smile.

"I managed to get some food, so if you want to make something you can." I step away, putting my groceries up.

"Did you get any sweets?"

"Nope." I say as I put multiple boxes of cereal on the top shelf of my pantry. "Besides a thing of Oreos."

"That's it?"

I walk out, grabbing more boxes. "Yep." I stock my pantry, putting the Mac and Cheese, Ramen Noodles, and other meals on the shelves.

"You can spoil yourself, you know." He leans on my island on his forearms.

I walk back out. "I know." I state. "Doesn't mean I'm going to."

"Then it's a good thing you have me." He walks to me, wrapping his hands around my waist.

"Ah, my hero." I wrap my arms around his neck. "Spoiling me when I won't."

"Someone has to." He smiles at me. "You just happen to have a boyfriend who loves gift-giving."