34. | Tipsy

I watch Naomi as she walks downstairs

"She's a fiery one, that girl." Damian comments.

"Yeah..." I mumble, watching as she mixes into the crowd on the dance floor. "I'm not so sure that's a good thing."

"She's a kind person, but she certainly has an attitude. I almost recognize it..." Simpson mumbles thoughtfully.

I hum. Naomi's hair flies as she whips her head back and forth, dancing to the music. Her body moves fluidly, like it was made to dance.

"Rhys." My head snaps ahead of me at the call of my name. "If we're doing this, you need to focus."

"Right. Sorry." I clear my throat.

Simpson raises a brow but says nothing. "If we make new security cameras, they'd have to have a better software than the others."

Damian nods. "The other cameras had multiple complaints of hacking, so if we can eliminate that..."

"We'd get more profit." I nod in understanding.

"So, we'll need to meet up with the manufacturer to have them figure out a better software function before we can sell them." Simpson comments.

I glance at the bar, Naomi standing beside the bar. I turn back to my partners, but my head snaps back when I see a man trying to force himself on her. "Shit."

I jump up, rushing down the stairs and pushing through the crowd. I reach the bar as I hear her yell, "Back off, asshole!"

"Hey!" I shout, catching their attention. I push at the man's chest, forcing him backward. "No means no!"

"We were just talking." He chuckles nervously.

"And now you're leaving." I glare at him.

He holds his hands up. "Whatever, man." He steps back with a smirk. "She's all yours."

I wait until he's gone to look at Naomi. "Are you okay?"

She reaches for her drink, taking a sip. "Mhm. Just a liiiiittle bit tipsy" She holds her thumb and pointer finger apart just an inch, pinching an eye closed.

"Okay, come on. We're gonna go upstairs for a bit." I grab her arm. She takes her drink before I lead her up the stairs, her in front of me, so I don't lose track of her. I sit down in the booth, pulling her down beside me.

She sighs, placing her hands on top of the table. "So, what were you gentlemen talking about?"

"Security cameras." I answer.

She seems to think about something. "I want to say interesting...but I have a feeling it's gonna be boring." She squints her eyes, pressing her teeth together.

Simpson decides to speak this time, "We were talking about how people were hacking into our old ones, and so we want to upgrade the software the new ones will have."

She nods as if she's interested. "Yeah, nope. Still boring." She thins her lips as she blinks at him. Damian rolls his eyes.

I press a hand to her upper back and lower my voice. "You don't have to pay attention if you don't want to."

She nods, taking a drink from her glass that's almost empty. She smiles at me, leaning back before she gets on her phone.

I hear them talk around me, but I pay them no mind, scrolling on my phone

I hear them talk around me, but I pay them no mind, scrolling on my phone. I scroll on Instagram, looking through different peoples feeds and seeing how people are happy and surrounded by family.

Their voices seem to drown out, and I swallow the last of my drink, but I notice how heavy my hand feels. I blink rapidly, trying to put my cup back on the table. I manage, but my hand seems to fall limp.

I breathe heavily, my vision starting to swirl. What's happening to me?

I look down at my phone, the images blurring. My phone slips out of my hand, my hand too heavy to stop it.

What's wrong with me? Am I dying?

I open my mouth to call for Rhys, but I can't seem to feel my body. My mouth can't move, and no words make it out. My eyes flutter rapidly, the lights in... Where am I at?

The lights seem to flash before my body falls limp.