63. | Northern Star

I've rarely seen Rhys this week

He comes home late and he leaves early in the morning. I know I shouldn't doubt him, but I can't help it. My brain is telling me one thing while I'm trying to believe another.

"Relax, okay?" Maya says. "I'm sure it's nothing. He's a CEO, he's bound to be busy."

"But he's never been this busy. And I've been working for him for almost a year." I frown, staring in the mirror. I'm wearing the blue, white, and gold tulle dress Maya got me, my hair in a half-up, half-down style with a bun on my head wrapped, braid wrapped around it, and the rest of my hair falling in curls.

"You know Rhys, Naomi. He wouldn't do anything to hurt you." She says as she wraps a necklace around my throat, clasping it and letting it rest against my chest. "Gorgeous." She grins into the mirror.

I smile slightly. "We should get going, before we're late."

We grab our bags and walk out, taking the steps down to the front door then going out to the cars. Maya's in a white and gold sequin dress with gold studded rhinestone chains for sleeves. Mason is in a deep blue tux, sitting in the driver's seat.

When we get to the penthouse, the door is open and there are people everywhere. We had spent the last three days setting everything up, and it all looks beautiful.

I smile, happy that it all worked. I grab a glass of champagne from a waiter, sipping on it as I scan the crowd.

He should be here. So where is he?

I think back to the time when he dragged me to the tailor with him and had a dress made for me. The dress I still have hanging up in my closet.

"You're coming with me to the gala." He had said, so simply as if it were obvious.

"I'm what?"

"Is your hearing impaired?"

"No! You just said that I'm going to the gala with you. Since when?!"

"Since now." He shrugged. "You're my personal assistant, and you're on the decorating committee."

At the time, he had sounded like a dick, but now I realize that he was really just trying to be nice, and struggled to show it. I'm thankful he got me that dress, though. It's gorgeous.

"...it'll still look odd if my personal assistant and decorator, didn't show up by my side." Is what he had said back then. And now, look who's not here.

Hands cover my eyes. "Guess who."

"Hm... Ian Somerhalder." I joke. He removes his hands and I turn around.

"Who?"

"An actor."

"Ah," He nods in understanding. "You didn't think I was gonna dip, did you?"