58. | S.O.S.

Walking into work, I curse at the sight of my mother

Walking into work, I curse at the sight of my mother. "You've been ignoring my calls."

"Gee, I wonder why." I retort sarcastically, staring down into my tablet as I walk to the elevator.

"I demand an explanation!"

"I don't have one." I press the button to the elevator.

"Well, you better find one." She snaps.

I sigh. "Don't you have some adultery to commit?" She rears back as if I stabbed her.

"How dare you?" She glares as the elevator arrives, and we both step inside. "I want this...Naomi out."

"That's too bad." I shrug.

"She is a liability. She will steal anything she can. You should've just married Kylie." I spin to her.

"Naomi is much better than Kylie. If you think for one second, Kylie could've been trusted, you need a reality check. She would've cheated us out of our money and ditched us the second she could because that is the kind of person she is. Naomi would never do that. Hell, the woman doesn't even let me buy her presents."

"That is no excuse." I scoff, walking out the doors as they open. "Look at the damage she has done to our company! To our reputation!"

I spin around. "This is my company. This is my reputation!" I point to my chest as I yell. "You mean nothing in this company. All you are is the boss's mother. And that is all you will be. But don't think for a second I don't know about what you hide." I lower my voice, stepping closer. "I know that look in your eye, Mother. I know you're high off your mind and how you won't remember this in the morning."

Her chest heaves, her breathing heavy.

"So talk bad about my girlfriend again, and I'll tell everyone who you really are. Let's see how well that goes."

"You wouldn't." She sneers.

I wouldn't, but she doesn't need to know that.

"Hi! I'm Brittany, Naomi's aunt." I pull away, and she holds a hand out to my mother.

"Evangelina." She takes her hand, but Brittany pulls her into a hug. I raise a brow. Since when does she hug? I notice my mother's eyes widen before Brittany pulls away with a fake grin.

"It was so lovely to meet you." She holds her by the top of her arms.

My mother smiles nervously. "Yeah. Uh...you, too. I have a...meeting to get to." Then she spins on her heel and walks back to the elevator, taking it down.

The second the elevator closes, Brittany stands up straight, her eyes rolling as she scowls. "That's one way to get rid of a mother."

"What did you say to her?" I ask, curious, as we walk to my office.