54. | Softie

I wake up before Naomi does, her still asleep under the covers as I pull them off of me and climb up

I wake up before Naomi does, her still asleep under the covers as I pull them off of me and climb up. Last night, both Naomi and Azzy ended up falling asleep on the car ride home. I took them to my place, putting them to bed. Azzy already has a bedroom here, anyway.

I walk downstairs and put on a cup of coffee. I yawn as I make myself a cup, when my elevator dings.

Confused, I walk out to see who it is. "Kasey?"

"Think again." I grunt as a vase is slammed against my head, knocking me off my feet. "I told you this isn't over, you motherfucker."

Shit. Why now? Especially with Azzy here.

I wake to the sound of glass shattering

I wake to the sound of glass shattering. Looking beside me, the bed is empty. Is Rhys downstairs?

The sound of grunting comes through the crack in the bedroom door. Carefully, I climb out of bed, walking to my purse. Reaching inside, I grab protection before walking out.

I walk to a room with a colorful drawing on it, assuming it's Azzy's. I push the door open, finding her sleeping soundly in her bed. The grunting continues, and I walk down the stairs as quietly as I can.

"What's wrong, Croyso?! Can't fight back anymore?"

"Of course, it's you." I laugh to myself, but there's no humor in it. "It's always you." He jumps up, putting Rhys into a headlock. I raise a brow. "You done?"

"You're going to listen to what I say. Both of you. Or someone's going to get hurt."

"What do you think is gonna happen here?" I tilt my head. "I follow your orders, and you get out unscathed?" His jaw flexes. "You're lucky I haven't called the cops."

"You wouldn't."

Switching the gun off of safety, I hold it up to his head. "Wanna try me?"

He chuckles, but I can hear the nerves in it. "You can't shoot a gun."

"You don't know a damn thing about me, Jackson." I sneer. "Here's what's going to happen: you're going to let Rhys go, and you're going to leave, or I will call the police."

He seems to debate whether to listen or not. "And if I don't?" He tests.

"I'm going to shoot," I state plainly. "And I won't be responsible for where it hits you."

He narrows his eyes at me before shoving Rhys away and walking to the elevator. I follow him with the gun, pointing it at him until the elevator doors shut. I immediately click it onto safety and rush to Rhys.

"Are you okay?"

"You had a gun." He whispers.

"Yeah." I whisper.

"Where did you get a gun?" He looks at me for an answer.

I hesitate before answering, "My mother."

"Why does she have a gun?" He whisper-hisses to me.

"I don't know!" I exclaim. "She wanted me to have protection, and I'm glad I did!" My gaze travels to his forehead. "Rhys, you're bleeding."

"I'll be fine."

"No. You're going to sit on the couch and let me patch up your wound." I say in a stern tone. He sighs, rolling his eyes. Then he moves to the couch.

"There's a kit in the cabinet above the fridge." I nod and walk to get it, but, of course, I'm too short. I hear him sigh from the couch. A body comes up beside me, reaching up and grabbing the first aid kit from inside.

I frown at him. "I told you to sit on the couch."

He hands the kit to me. "And you were struggling. You know, most people say thank-you after receiving help." He retorts.

I glare. "Go sit on the couch."

"Yes, Mom." He walks to the couch, plopping down. I walk to him, sitting down beside him. I open the kit and rummage through it, finding the supplies I need. I try cleaning the wound, but I struggle, failing to reach him. I try standing in front of him, but I stand awkwardly.

He sighs exasperatedly. "Jesus Christ." I yelp as he pulls me down by my hips, sitting me on his lap.

I pause for a second before I continue to work on his wound. "Are you mad?

"About?"

"The gun."

He sighs, his arms wrapping around my waist. "I wanted to. But, I realized that if it wasn't for you, things probably would've escalated."

I smile down at him. "It wasn't loaded."

He chuckles softly at me. "To be honest, I'd be surprised if it was."

I put a bandage on his head, then I hear Azzy coming down the stairs. Quickly, I hurry to the gun, hiding it under the couch.

"Ree-Ree, I hungry." She rubs her eye, holding a stuffed animal to her chest.

Rhys gets up, walking to her and hauling her up into his arms. "Alright, what do you want to eat?"

"Lucky Charm!" She grins.

"Cereal, it is." Rhys retorts, carrying her to the kitchen. I follow, stepping up beside him after he set Azzy on the stool and makes her cereal.

"Do you think she heard what happened?" I lower my voice, to keep Azzy from hearing.

"That girl can sleep through a hurricane. I highly doubt it." He snorts. He carries her bowl to her and sets it down in front of her. "Want to watch some TV?"

"Bluey!" She squeals. I raise an eyebrow in amusement.

"Bluey again? You've already watched the entire series four times." He complains.

"Bluey, bluey, bluey, bluey, bluey." She chants, and he sighs dramatically.

"Fine. Anything for you." He kisses her head before walking to the living room, grabbing the remote and turning on Bluey. I can't help but giggle at him. Who knew he was such a softie?

If you had told me months ago that this was how my life was going to turn out, dating my boss and becoming frenemies with my aunt who I used to despise, I would've laughed in your face and walked away.

But I'm glad this is where my life ended up. Because for once, I'm finally happy. Albeit, some of the people I want most aren't here, their memory is still with me. And I'll honor that memory till the day I die.

***

A/N: I feel like I'm drawing this out but I'm going to write the Christmas chapter, then another chapter, and then the fundraiser (a surprise is going to happen at the fundraiser). Then I'll work on finishing up the book (bc this feels very drawn out and i keep getting stuck :sob:)