36. | Future Sister-in-Law

"You could ask Eira

"You could ask Eira." Rhys offers from his desk. "She's a lawyer."

I stare up at the ceiling as I sit slouched on the couch in his office. I turn my head to him. "You really think she'd agree?"

"I don't think she'd say no." He counters, and I sigh.

I force myself up, walking to his desk. "What's her number?"

"I can call her."

"No. I need to do it myself." I exhale, holding my hand out. He nods before setting a card in the palm of my hand. "Thank you." I whisper. I take out my phone, dialing the number as I wander away from his desk.

"Saint Law Firm, how can I help you?" A woman answers the phone, likely an assistant.

"Hi, I'd like to make an appointment with Eira Croyso?"

"I'm sorry, Eira's not taking any appointments today—"

I cut her off. "No, that's fine. Just tell her to call Naomi Walker back as soon as possible. It's urgent."

"Will do. Anything else I can help you with today?"

"Nope. That's all, thank you." She hums. I hang up and sigh. I turn around to Rhys. "Looks like I'll be—" My phone rings, an unfamiliar number calling. But then I recognize it as the number I just called. "Hello?"

"Naomi?" Eira's voice comes through on the other line.

"Eira. Hi."

"Hi. You called to talk with me. What for?"

I inhale a deep breath. "I need a lawyer, and Rhys said you were one, and I was hoping you'd help me?" It comes out uncertain, like a question. I don't mean it to; it just happens.

"What do you need a lawyer for?"

"Uhm..." I fidget. "My aunt is trying to take my house, after my father gave it to me in his will. So..."

"Ah. So it's one of these cases." She seems to realize.

"Can you help me?"

"I can help you. And I can make you win." I can practically feel her smile, despite not being able to see her.

"Thank you."

"Anything for my future sister-in-law. Bye-bye." I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion, pulling my phone away from my ear. She hangs up. What did she mean by future sister-in-law?

I look to Rhys, who's drinking from his coffee cup. "Rhys?" He hums, staring at his computer screen. I take slow steps toward him. "Would you tell me...if you told somebody? About us?" I lower my voice, in case anyone decides to eavesdrop.

He chokes on his coffee before he swallows and slowly sets his cup down. "Of course, I would."

"So you would tell me if you told Kasey about us?" I lean on his desk.

"Of course. You're my girlfriend. Wh-Why wouldn't I tell you about it?" He smiles nervously.

I narrow my eyes. "You told Kasey, didn't you?"

"You told Maya!" He blurts.

"Maya's my best friend!"

"And Kasey is mine!"

"Did you tell Eira?"

"No. Ka—" He pauses. Sighs. "Kasey did."

"Well, did you tell Mason?"

"No." He shakes his head. "I didn't tell anyone but Kasey. I promise."

I sigh. "Okay."

"Come here." I walk around his desk, and he pulls me down onto his lap. "I'm sorry I told Kasey without consulting you first."

I sigh, leaning back against him. "I'm sorry for telling Maya."

"Oh, I knew you were gonna tell Maya. That's a given." I giggle at him. I press a kiss to his jaw before he turns and kisses my lips.

The door bursts open and I leap from his arms. "Okay, so I got—" Kasey looks up and notices us. "Shit, did I interrupt?"

"Do you not know how to knock?" Rhys asks, annoyed. Kasey shuts the door as he rolls his eyes.

"What were you going to say, Kasey?" I question.

"Uh... Nothing important." He smiles fakely at me, and I narrow my eyes.

"Okay, then." I mumble. I turn to Rhys. "I should get back to work." I press a kiss to his cheek, but he pulls me back by my chin, kissing my lips.

"I'll call you if I need you."

I smile at him. "Okay." As I walk by Kasey, I smile at him, "Bye, Kasey."

"Bye, fallen angel." He grins at me. I shake my head, rolling my eyes as I walk to the door.