5. | Charity Gala

"Did you know how many people actually want to pair with you? It's insane

"Did you know how many people actually want to pair with you? It's insane." I pan through the digital copies of papers as Rhys stands on the platform in front of three mirrors.

"Yes, Naomi. I am well aware." He replies as the tailor takes his measurements.

I move over to my emails. "Oh, Jesus." I mumble.

"What?"

"Nothing. I just didn't realize I'd have so many emails just starting out." I state as I scroll through them.

"You're my personal assistant. It's to be expected."

I mock him under my breath, widening my eyes. "It'S tO bE eXpEcTeD."

"What was that?"

"Nothing." I reply in a high-pitched sing-song voice. My phone rings and I answer it. "Hello?"

"Hi, I'm calling in regards to Naomi Walker?"

"That's me."

"Good. I was contacted out of concern for city hall?"

I realize who I'm talking to. "Yes. Hi. I work for Cyber Tech and Co., and I was trying to book city hall to organize a charity gala that my boss, Rhys Croyso, is hosting."

"Do you have your boss with you to confirm this? It's just a safety precaution, nothing personal."

"Uhm, I do. Give me a minute." I pull the phone away from my ear. "She wants to talk to you."

"Tell her I'm busy." He mumbles, fidgeting with his cufflinks.

"If I do that, she could think it's some prank and won't allow me to book city hall. Just take the phone." I hold it out for him.

He sighs, annoyed. "Fine." He takes my phone, putting it to his ear. "Hello. Yes, this is him." It's silent for a moment. "Yes, Naomi Walker is my personal assistant, and per my request, I had her book city hall. Of course, there are delays in schedule as you seem to believe she is lying."

I press a hand to my eyes. Idiot.

"Thank you." He hangs up and hands me my phone back. "It's done. You just need to make the arrangements for the decorations."

I groan. "Can't one of the other ladies at work do it? I suck at decorating."

"I'm telling you."

"Sir, what material would you like your suit to be made out of?"

"What kinds do you have?" They step away, talking about materials of all kinds, most I don't even know what is.

Hurriedly, I pull my phone out, dialing the number. "Howdy." Her voice comes through the other line.

"You're good with decor, right?"

"Are you kidding? Have you seen my bedroom? I practically decorated my dad's entire house." She replies.