32. Gold on Red

Y/n's POV

The next day

The party's tomorrow and you have nothing to wear. You practiced shooting with Natasha today and before the session ended, the two of you made plans to give the boutique a visit. The two of you freshen up and decide to hit the stores of New York in your new quest for a dress that speaks glamour and elegance at the same time.

After searching from boutique to boutique, you couldn't find the one you're looking for. You don't exactly have the picture in mind. You have a feeling you'll know it when you see it. You keep rejecting dresses for various reasons; too long, too short, too covering, too revealing, too uncomfortable, too much going on, not so much going on, and one was straight up rectangle.

You sigh, going through dresses that were in display,

"What do you think?" Nat holds up a dress for your opinion. It's a black dress with silver collar and top.

"Oh that's a cute one. Try it on!"

You wait outside the trial room checking some more dresses. She walks out of the dressing room, and checks herself in the full length mirror, "See?" She does a little twirl.

"Wow, it looks so good on you!" It does. The dress really brings out her green eyes and compliments her red hair very well. It's a pretty A-line that flows perfectly when she moves, "you should definitely get this one. Steve is gonna have a heart attack tomorrow,"

You giggle. She gives you a look, "who told you?"

"Girl I sawwwwww, nobody needs to tell me,"

You watch her cheeks getting shades of pink, as she's looking at you with an expression of pleasant shock in the mirror.

After getting Natasha's dress you walk down the Fifth Avenue. "I don't really know, Nat. I don't like any of them," you sigh.

"Take your time, you need to find something that Tony cannot take his eyes off you,"

You give her a side eye, "Tony and I are just friends, Nat."

"Tell that to the mirror, I won't believe anything you say, I ship you two so hard," she looks at you.

"I'm sorry to let you down then,"

"Come on, y/n, you gotta give him a chance, I've never seen him swoon over someone like he does with you... He's too fond of himself to do that, for your kind info,"

"I know. I've been with a lot of men, and that's pretty normal," you state kinda proudly.

"Damn girl." She says and you chuckle.

"What? You say you're not into him? You know who I am, right? You can lie to Tony, not to me." She raises an eyebrow at you, "I've seen how you two look at eachother, the forbidden love that's far from reach type," she mocks.

"So what do you want me to do? Let him in? I'm not even a good match for him. I cannot even match his body count." You roll your eyes, giving a reason that's vague to you too.

"Seriously? body count? That's not even a good reason, y/n."

You turn your head to look at her, "you know everything about my past and me. So you tell me how's it fair for me to be with him when I can never satisfy him. He'll be stuck with me."

"That's not how-"

"I'm sorry, Nat, I'm done. We're done talking about this, please just let's pick a dress and go back, okay?" You look at the road ahead.

"Okay." She follows your gaze, "uh, y/n, how about this one,"

You look where she's pointing and there it is. THE DRESS. Just as you thought, it's exactly what you want, perfect length, perfect glam, perfect everything. You just need to try it on to check if it's truely tailored for you.