37. Head Mess

"trail went cold about a hundred miles out for it's headed north..." Thor says to the others ignoring the little person standing in front of him with angry eyes. He looks down at you, "and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it. Again."

You lower your eyes a degree, reminded of the urgent matter at hand. You fold your arms, and start to walk backwards, away from Thor's front.

"Genie's out of that bottle. Clear and present as Ultron." Natasha says.

"I don't understand," you look at the speaking Helen, "you built this programme." Tony strolls around the room to join Bruce, "why's it trying to kill us?"

You hear Tony giggle. For an instance you thought it was your head. But then you hear it again. More like an escaped annoyance. Bruce shakes his head at him warningly, "Mm-mm", and Tony meets his eyes.

"You think this is funny?" Thor's serious.

"No?" Tony turns around, "it's probably not, right?" You narrow your eyes at Stark and he glances at you, "this is very terrible? Is it sooo? Is it soooo? It is? It's so terrible?" Tony says between giggles.

"This could've been avoided if you haven't played with something you don't understand." Thor points out.

"No, I'm sorry." Tony walks towards the centre, "I'm sorry. It is funny." His tone turning from mocking to serious, "it's who you don't get why we need this?"

"Tooony, maybe this might not be the time." Bruce warns again.

"Really?" He turns around, "that's it. You just roll over and show your belly everytime someone snarls?"

"Only when I've created a murderbot." He says knowingly.

"We didn't! We weren't even close to an interface! We're we close to an interface?" Tony argues. And Bruce nods a 'yes' with his mouth turned into a thin line.

"Well you did something right," Steve says, "and you did it right here." He walks into the conversation, "the Avengers were supposed to be different than SHIELD."

Oh yes, you remember how there was news all over that Hydra has made its way into SHIELD. Top secret files were made public. Noone was supposed to be trusted. And CIA worked with the government to interrogate some of the most loyal looking agents of SHIELD. Those were some of the ugliest days you saw.

"Anybody remembers when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?"

"No it's never came up." Rhodey says but Tony continues,

"Saved New York?"

"Never heard of that." Rhodey again.

"Recall that?! A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing three hundred feets below it. We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the live long day but that, up there... That's the endgame. How are you guys planning on beating that?" And his roaming eyes lands on Steve.

"Together." Steve confidently says.

Tony takes a step forward, "we'll lose."

"And we'll do that together too."

Tony looks away, at you, to see you already looking. The tension between the super three is obvious, and you can see Tony losing the verbal battle.

"Thor's right." Steve continues, "Ultron's calling us out and I'd like to find him before he's ready for us. The world's a big place, start making it smaller."

Everyone starts to scramble and Tony walks to you, searching for any injury.

"You okay?" He cautiously holds your fingers with his.