eight

ੈ✩‧₊˚ YOURE THE CLOSEST TO HEAVEN THAT ILL EVER BE
the goo goo dolls

ADI BLUE had her head rested on her bed, sitting with her knees to her chest as she stared blankly at an angry Helena.

"Carson fucking Reed." Helena muttered, shaking her head. "I can't believe he hooked up with Carson Reed."

Adi shrugged, feeling the way her eyes puffed. "It's whatever. I'm just embarrassed. I mean, how am I gonna face him after that?"

Helena rolled her bottom lip into her mouth. "Well, you're gonna to eventually. When you do, please go off on him for me."

"I'll try." Adi chuckled lightheartedly. "He's been texting me since this morning."

Helena cocked a brow. "Saying?"

Adi grabbed her phone from her nightstand, opening the messages app as she turned her phone to the brunette.

lukey pookie
i'm sorry abt last night ads
do you remember anything?
read

lukey pookie
ur gonna ignore me??
read

lukey pookie
can we talk?
please
come over mine at 2
read

Helena handed the phone back to her with parted lips. "God, he's so desperate. Well, it's ten minutes till 2. What are you gonna do?"

"Do I really have a choice?" Adi breathed with a chuckle. "I think if I don't go over, he'll come here. No matter what we're gonna have to figure it out."

"True." Helena nodded. "Good luck, Adi. Keep me updated, yeah?"

Adi shot her a quick thumbs up. "Will do. Hey, tell Zegras to keep it in his pants."

Helena swung her legs over the girls bed, shaking her head as she headed towards her bedroom door. "I'd rather him not."

Within a few minutes of mentally preparing herself, Adi Blue ventured towards the Hughes home. She knocked on the door, brushing her tamed blonde hair from her shoulders as she rocked on heels with anticipation.

"Good afternoon." Jack greeted as he opened the door, rubbing his eyes as his bed head was a clear indicator of his awakening.

Adi stifled a laugh as the boy moved to the side letting her in. "Where's your shithead of a brother?"

"Which one?" Jack asked. "Quinns outside."

"Quinn is not a shithead." Adi corrected with flat lips. "The other one."

Jack hummed, glancing up the staircase. "Pretty sure his room. Hey, when you're done, tell him he owes me a new hoodie."

Adi furrowed her brows, ignoring him as she headed up the stairs, knocking softly on the door as she could hear him mumble on the other side.

"Coming." He shuffled towards the door, opening it as surprise took over his features. "Oh, hi, Ads. I honestly didn't think you'd come."

"You asked." Adi replied flatly, hearing the door shut as she sauntered over to sit on the edge of his bed, crossing her legs.

Luke cracked his knuckles as he sat beside her, facing her with a good distance between them. "Thanks for coming. Look, about last night...I was a wreck. I fucked up."

Adi stifled a small laugh. "As in, Carson Reed? Was she a good kisser."

"No." Luke shook his head. "She also kind've hates me."

"What did you do?" Adi Blue asked, curiously. "I think it would take a lot for her to hate you. She's had the hots for you since we were ten."

Luke's face flushed with embarrassment as he stared down at Adi's crossed legs. "We made out and we like, uh, you know..."

Adi shivered at the thought. "Gross, Luke."

"I called her Adi." Luke admitted, watching her face twist. "I called her Adi and she freaked. We didn't even really get to do anything. It was after the dock."

Adi hummed, blinking as she was frozen.

"I'm sorry that's so weird." Luke covered his face. "It's just, like, Carson was there and I was lonely..."

"I get it." Adi finally spoke up with a shrug. "We all get desperate sometimes. All good."

Luke raised his brows slightly. "Is it? You do remember what happen right?"

"I wasn't wasted, Luke. So, yes, I do. Your point?" Adi flickered her dark blue eyes between his lighter ones.

"We almost kissed, Adi." Luke said with a confused tone. "Like, we almost did. I basically confessed my feelings for you."

Adi shifted with a small groan. "Luke..."

"Just give me a chance, Adi." Luke placed his hand on top of hers, catching her breath in her throat. "And if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't, but you won't know unless you try."

Adi blinked once more, a low and dreadful flutter of her eyelashes as she breathed deeply through her nose. "We have to take this slow. It'll ruin us both if we don't."

Luke nodded quickly, desperately. "Okay, okay."

Adi could feel her heartbeat blaring through her eardrums as she flickered her iris's between his. "Please don't make me regret this, Hughes."

"I promise I never will make a moment we spend together regretful." Luke gave her a sloppy grin, causing the two to chuckle as he cupped her cheek. "You're my best friend, Ads. You don't know how long until I wanted to be more."

Adi bit her bottom lip in an attempt to hide the sweet proud smirk on her pink lips, she failed. "You're such a sucker for me, Hughes."

"Only for you, Blue." He took his thumb, rubbing it over the small slope of her nose as she scrunched it. "You're everything to me."

Adi leaned forward, pressing a soft kiss to his cheekbone as he flushed pink.

"You're not even gonna kiss me?" Luke cocked a brow, glancing down at her lips.

Adi chuckled with a headshake.  "We're taking things slow, Lukey. Plus, you've still got Carson Reed lingering on you."

"You're an ass." Luke hummed in annoyance.

"And you love mine." Adi rejoiced with a poke of his side, causing him to curse as he jolted.

i need him.
so bad.