nine

ੈ✩‧₊˚ ALABAMA, ARKANSAS
Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros

LUKE HUGHES could not tear his gaze from the blonde as she spoke to her friends, holding onto the sweater falling loose off her shoulders.

He could hear Caufield in his ear, talking to his brothers as the groups scattered the beach.

"You just gonna watch her all night like a hawk, bro?" Quinn shouted slightly over the bass the music, his palm hitting his little brothers shoulder gently,

Luke shrugged him off, finally tearing his eyes from the girl. "Shut up, Quinn. Do you ever mind your business?"

"It's not our fault you've been eye fucking her the whole night." Jack shrugged, downing his beer before sending the curly headed boy a wink.

Luke rolled his eyes, clutching that alcohol in his hand tightly. "Quinn, is the keys to the boat still inside?"

"Why?" Quinn cocked a brow.

"Can you answer?" Luke groaned. "Yes or no?"

Quinn nodded suspiciously. "Yeah, hanging in their usual spot. What dumb plan are you concocting?"

"I'm not concocting anything, Quinner. Just extremely bored and still getting over my hang over from last weekend." Luke sent his brother a quick smile before turning away quickly, emptying out his beer on the sand.

Adi had her arms crossed, completely oblivious to her friends talking in front of her as an arm wrapping around her wrist had her turning her head.

Adi tilted her head up, her nose filling with the strong scent of Luke Hughes's cologne. "Hi, Lukey. What's up?"

"Are you,like, bored?" Luke asked, his hand still holding her wrist.

Adi glanced around with a small shrug. "I mean, they have these things all the time. It's just repetitive but I'm hanging in there."

"Do you wanna go somewhere?" Luke darted his tongue out to lick his lips, nervously. "Not in a weird way."

Adi suppressed a laugh as she was quick to nod. "Lead the way, Hughesy."

The two ventured back towards the home, only a block away from the bonfire as Luke directed her to stay put just outside of the Hughes home.

Adi kicked pebbles, the boy returning seconds later as he lifted a hand, directing her.

Luke took the tarp off the front of the boat, using his phone flashlight as he turned on the engine of the family's boat, watching Adi step on with ease.

Adi curled up on the ledge of the boat, feeling it rock steadily from the waves beneath them. "You're gonna drive?"

"No." Luke shook his head, typing on his phone. "I'm just turning it on for music. Quinn would actually behead me if I took this out."

Adi hummed, laughing softly to herself at the thought of an angry Quinn. Luke began to walk over to her, pressing the volume button on his phone.

Her features lit up as the whistles of Home by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros began to play.

Alabama, Arkansas, I do love my ma and pa
Not that way that I do love you

Adi hummed the lyrics of the song, her eyes trailing over Luke's face as he stuck his hands out, she jeered, taking them as her feet planted on the ground.

Luke spun her around, his skin crawling as her laughter was pure, the sound alone making his heart flutter.

Well, holy moly, me oh my
You're the apple of my eye
Girl, I've never loved one like you

Adi continued to dance lightly, spinning Luke around as he struggled from the height difference between the two.

Man, oh man, you're my best friend
I scream it to the nothingness
There ain't nothing that I need

Luke grinned at her, running his fingers over the sharpness of her jawline. "This song has always made me think of you."

Adi could feel her blood rush to her cheeks, panting them a rosy pink. "Really?"

Luke nodded, the stars reflecting off the lake painted the slightest light on his face. "Yes, Adi Blue."

"And why is that, Luke." Adi cocked her head to the side, ignoring the way her chest heaved as she stared up at him.

Well, hot and heavy, pumpkin pie
Chocolate candy, Jesus Christ
Ain't nothing please me more than you

Like lifted a hand to tuck away her blonde strands of hair, swallowing. "Because every lyric describes the way you make me feel."

Adi wanted to scream, to tip herself backwards into the cold waters, Luke Hughes was driving her mad. "This is a dream."

Oh, home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you
Oh, home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you

"You're a dream, Ads." Luke muttered, the two now sitting down, her legs coming to sling over his. "I feel like I'm fucking dreaming every time you notice me."

I'll follow you into the park
Through the jungle, through the dark
Girl, I never loved one like you (hey)
Moats and boats and waterfalls
Alleyways and pay phone calls
I've been everywhere (hey) with you

Adi pouted slightly at the sweetness laced in his words as she blinked. "You're my favorite person, Luke Hughes."

"Likewise." Luke shrugged causing the two to chuckle.

Home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you
Oh, home, yes, I am home
Home is when I'm alone with you

"You're right, Luke." Adi pulled down the sleeves of her cardigan, leaning closer into him. "This does feel like a dream."

But do all dreams come true?

me writing this chapter 🤗
me knowing this will never happen
2 me 💔🥹😜