thirty nine

ੈ✩‧₊˚ 'CAUSE ALL OF THE SMALL THINGS THAT YOU DO
ARE WHAT REMIND ME WHY I FELL FOR YOU
new west

"WHAT ARE you writing in there all the time?" Luke furrowed his brows, lying on his side as his gaze lingered on the blonde, writing in her diary.

Adi chuckled, rolling her bottom lip into her mouth as her eyes scanned the ink covering pages. "It's a secret, Hughes."

"Do you write about me?" Luke asked, attempting to peak over her shoulder.

"Actually, yeah. Remember when we broke up?" Adi could see his scowl beginning to form. "I wrote about wanting to invest in a voodoo doll and stabbing it with needles."

Luke raised his brows, clearly believing her. "Do those things actually work?"

"Do you wanna find out?" Adi tilted her head slightly, watching him shake his head quickly. "I booked my plane tickets."

"You did?" Luke sat up. "You're really coming?"

Adi hummed with a nod. "It's only a practice game, Luke. I'll come to a real one, too. I just wanna see your rink."

"You'll love it." Luke couldn't contain his grin. "Will you wear my jersey?"

"I'll even get number forty-three tattooed on my forehead. Happy?" Adi teased, watching him
roll his eyes.

"I'd love it." Luke traced the number on her forehead with his fingertips, his imagination running wild. "You're still my good luck charm, Blue."

Adi nudged her cheek into the palm of his hand as he now rubbed her cheekbone, delicately.

"Okay, now can you tell me what you write?" Luke practically begged, a small pout on his lips.

Adi leaned up, sitting closer to the headboard as Luke rested his elbow on one of the pillows, peering up towards her. "I write about you. A lot."

"Can I hear?" Luke asked. "Like, what? Like, letters? Or..." He trailed off, waiting for her to finish.

"Kinda." Adi hummed with a small nod. "I've never really been able to share my exact emotions. So, writing them down hell of a lot easier."

"I think it's adorable that you write in your diary at nineteen years old." Luke flashed his teeth making her scoff at the backhanded compliment.

Adi brought her fingers down to flip through the pages. "I'm going to the bathroom. It'll be to embarrassing to sit here and watch you read them."

She excused herself, the second she slipped out of that room, his hands were on the notebook, nearly tearing it open with anticipation.

July 4th, 2022.

He kissed her and I feel like an idiot. What was I thinking? It's the most gut wrenching feeling. I kinda feel like a kid in a candy store, you get super excited to buy something and then your mom tells you to put it back.

I was INCHES away! I cannot face him. I don't want to. I don't even want to think about his stupid face or how perfect he looked tonight, well, all the time. FML.

October 9th, 2022.

Life is good. He is mine. I finally have him. I think little me would go into cardiac arrest. I didn't know it was possible to love someone so much. Fuck, I'm really in love now...

January 6th, 2023.

He's pulling away. He's going to be leaving Michigan in a few months and I barely see him. I can't help but feel like this is my fault. I'm putting too much pressure on him. I don't want to lose him.

March 2nd, 2023

I think i'm going crazy. He didn't talk to me much today, he's been on phone calls at every hour. He's worried they're gonna expect more out of him cause he's a Hughes. I hope he can see himself the way I see him. A fucking star.

April 15th, 2023.

It's over. I can't wrap my head around it. I threw up this morning and I feel like a loser. I'm afraid I'll let this consume me my whole life.

I will care for you, always. Even we aren't together or are separated by seas, continents, or time zones. I need you. I can't bear this.

May 21st, 2023.

Quinn is home. I didn't know how much I missed him till I saw him. Then, I heard it. I heard his laughter and my entire body froze. SOS. I need to leave.

June 10th, 2023.

He said he hated me tonight. Now I'm afraid that he's seeing me for who I truly am. A coward. I am nothing without him; he's consumed me truly. I'm scared and I can't stop looking out of my window. In hopes that he'll see me and maybe he'll miss me too.

Luke couldn't read anymore, feeling physically sick from the guilt bubbling up in stomach. His fingers tugged at his chin slightly in distress. "Fuck. Fuck."

finally getting to see what she's been
writing 💌