sixteen

ੈ✩‧₊˚ BUT MY SLEEPLESS NIGHTS ARE WITH YOU
billie eilish

THREE MONTHS had passed since the first day of college, three months of being wrapped around each other any chance they could, three months of making promises to one another.

It was Christmas, Adi was walking over to the Hughes household with her mother, Faye. Both Quinn and Jack had taken the earliest flights in, coming just for a few days before returning back to the hassle of hockey life.

"Are those Faye's sugar cookies?" Quinn nearly drooled as he opened the door, quickly taking them
from her grasp.

The two chuckled at the eldest before making their way into the kitchen. Adi swatted Jacks hands away as he ruffled her hair, kissing Ellen and Jim on the cheek.

"May I ask where Luke is?" Adi glanced between them.

"In his room." Jack nodded with raised brows. "Tell him to stop being anti-social."

Adi hit him softly before hurrying up the stairs, knocking softly on his creaked door. "Luke..."

"Hey pretty." Luke flicked his eyes to her as she stepped into his room, walking towards him as he toyed with the box on his bed.

He patted the space beside him as she sat, pressing a soft kiss to his temple as he leaned into her touch.

"Here." Luke handed her the box, she furrowed her brows.

"Luke. I told you..you didn't have to get me anything." Adi rolled her eyes with a playful manner.

Luke shrugged. "I know but you got me hockey gear. It's only fair. Plus, you deserve it."

Adi smiled softly as she opened the box, a small
gasp escaping her lips as he took out the gold necklace, the infinity pendent dangling down.

"Do you like it?" Luke asked anxiously, watching her reaction carefully.

"I love it." Adi pouted, facing him as she wrapped her arms around him, squeezing him.

Luke helped her to her feet, turning her around as she gathered her hair in her hand, her back pressing against his front side.

She could feel the coldness of the chain on her skin as he secured it, his arms drifting down to rub her biceps as he cocked his head down, kissing her lips as she turned to face him.

"Infinity, huh?" Adi muttered as they pulled away, her lipgloss evident on his lips.

"Yes." Luke hummed, his fingers coming to straighten out the pendent. "Don't you know I'd travel endlessly around those curves for you, Blue."

Adi could feel her breath hitch, she kissed him once more. "I love you. So so much."

"I love you more." Luke tapped the bridge of her nose as he directed her out of his room and back downstairs with the rest of the family.

Dinner went on as normal, every year, different conversations, same people, and Adi Blue never got tired of this tradition.

"Can we be excused now?" Luke asked impatiently, picking at the crumbs of his desert as he flashed his mother pleading eyes.

Ellen sighed, watching her youngest puppy eye her. "Yes." She turned back to Adi. "Boys will boys."

"We're gonna play mini sticks in the basement." Luke scooted his chair out. "Come on."

Adi flashed the Hughes parents a warm smile. "Thank you for dinner and desert. It was delicious, like always."

Quinn rushed them down the steps, the brothers itching to get competitive with one another as Adi sat back onto the couch, watching the boys play.

"Lukey boy." Quinn shoved his brother slightly after scoring a goal. "How ready are you? Only a few more months."

"April 3rd, huh?" Jack beamed at his brother, the anticipation growing of sharing the ice with him.

Adi shifted awkwardly, blinking. "When did the date get confirmed?"

Eyes shifted towards the blonde. Luke immediately feeling guilty. "Uh, yesterday. I'm sorry I thought I told you."

Adi waved him off, forcing a smile. "Don't worry about it. We still have so much time."

He nodded before returning back to the ground. Adi slipped away from the group, none of them seeming to notice as they tackled each other onto the carpet.

Adi walked outside onto the back porch, hugging herself from the bitterness of Michigans weather. She glanced down at her boots, seeing the snow underneath them.

She was out there for minutes, thinking, staring off into the distance at the water.

A yelp left her tinted lips at the impact of a snowball hitting her back as she turned her head quickly, nearly getting lightheaded.

Luke laughed, holding a hand to his stomach. "Oh, my God. That was amazing. Can we talk about that aim?"

"Oh, really?" Adi raised her brows, pursuing her lips as she nodded, crouching down as she balled up the snow. "Okay, Luke."

She threw it with every ounce of strength she had, it spiking him in the chest despite his attempt to block it. She cupped a hand over her mouth as he looked down at his sweater.

Luke picked his head up, the look in his eye had her heart racing as he licked his lips, his feet working faster than her instincts as he lifted her from the ground.

Adi kicked her feet, trying to squirm from his grip. His feet slipped on the ice, causing the two to topple, Adi landing right on top of the boy.

He groaned softly, Adi hurrying to flip over with concern written over her features. "Luke. Fuck, babe. Are you okay?"

Luke nodded with a sly grin. "I'll feel that tomorrow."

Adi leaned up, bringing her lips to meet his before pulling away at the sound of his phone ringing, Luke digging in his pocket.

"Fuck. I need to take this." Luke scurried up to his feet, helping Adi up with his free hand before pressing his phone to his ear. "Hey, Coach Ruff..."

She didn't know it then but, she was already losing him.

if you get the necklace reference
SMOOCH.