twenty three

‧₊˚ LOOK AT THIS IDIOTIC FOOL THAT YOU MADE ME
YOU TAUGHT ME A SECRET LANGUAGE I CANT SPEAK WIGH ANYONE ELSE.
taylor swift

ADI HAD her fingers pressed against her temple, her free hand gently patting her pen against her bottom lip as she listened to her professor.

She sat in the back corner, the thought of socially interacting with anyone made her cringe.

"Now, we're on the topic of love." Her professor spoke loudly, her heels clicking as she walked around the front of the room. "Raise your hand if you've ever been in love."

Adi shifted uncomfortably, her hand wanting to shoot up and scream, she forced herself to stay still.

"Mhm." The professor hummed, looking around the packed hall. "Now, what about heartbreak? We all experience that once in our lives. How many of you have experienced heartbreak."

Adi blinked, shaking her head. The universe had really had it out for her.

"Heartbreak is a stronger feeling than love sometimes." She peered up to the students. "It's a feeling that comes with an abundance of side effects." She paused. "I remember when I was your age, experiencing the pain of losing my first love. A quote that had stuck out to me...Endlessly troubled by the minor inconvenience of loving you."

Adi cupped a hand around her lips, wishing she had slept past her alarm, her leg began to shake as she lifted her hand, feeling the coldness of the chain on her palm.

Infinity. Infinite.

"Sh." Adi hummed with wide eyes, turning her head to look at the curly headed boy as he shot her a lopsided grin. "We're taking a test, Lukey. We can't talk."

Luke leaned back, taking out his pen to scribble something on a small ripped up piece of printer paper, his eyes flickering between his writing and their professor.

Adi watched his fingers as he slid it towards her, she quickly grabbed it as she played it off, her eyes darting down as she unfolded it.

Adi could feel her lips form into a slight pout, the amount of love she had for the boy beside her practically poured out.

Luke ran his eyes over her features, quickly leaning in to kiss her cheek gently before returning back to his quiz.

Adi blinked, chills going down her spine as she stared at the two empty seats just three rows in front of her. She was living with the reminders of him, it was killing her.

She glanced down at her binder, flipping the front page to reveal the note that had just crossed her mind. She wanted to rip it up into shreds but she didn't. 'Cause this was all she had left of them.

Adi hurried to her feet as class was dismissed, slinging her backpack over her shoulder as her AirPods blasted a break up playlist.

Her head was down, eyes swollen as her throat was dry.

A gentle hand stroking her shoulder had her lifting her head quickly, turning with furrowed brows as she took out an AirPod.

"Sorry." Dylan had his hands up with a small chuckle. "I didn't mean to startle you. How is everything?"

Adi sighed lowly with a small shrug. "How do you think?"

"Not good." He scanned her face. "I can tell."

"Jeez, Duker...thanks." Adi rolled her eyes with a slight chuckle.

His face twisted, lips parting. "Oh, God. No, Ads, I didn't mean it like that. It came out the wrong way. You look absolutely stunning."

Adi pressed her lips together in an attempt to contain her smile, knowing she'd never be able to grow angry at the boy in front of her. "Nice save."

"Do you wanna get coffee?" Dylan asked, his hands in his back pockets. "I'll pay."

"Do you have no one else to hang out with?" Adi cocked a brow. "But, yes, I can't pass up on free coffee."

The two walked to the nearby cafe, just outside of their campus, Adi slinging her cardigan off as she grabbed a table for them.

Dylan returned a few minutes later, sliding an iced coffee to her with a sheepish grin. "Here you are."

Adi hummed at the caffeine, the shots of vanilla nearly making her eyes roll. "Thank you, Duker."

"Anytime." He nodded, tapping her fingers along the wooden table.

Adi glanced down at his fidgeting, then back up to his eyes. "So, do you wanna tell me the real reason you asked me to get coffee?"

Dylan sighed lowly, biting his bottom lip. "You know he's one of my best friends right?"

Adi faltered, the curly headed boy flashing through her mind. "Yes, Dylan. What does that have to do with me?"

"He...he wanted me to make sure you were okay."
Dylan admitted, shifting under her harshening gaze. "But I wanted to make sure you were okay too."

Adi chuckled lowly, dragging her tongue along her teeth. "Luke asked you to make sure I was okay?"

Dylan nodded. "He texted me last night. He's just really worried."

"He's a fucking coward, Dylan." Adi snapped, shaking her head as she took a long sip from her drink. "That's what he is. He can't even ask me himself."

"Because he thinks you hate him." Dylan defended. "I don't know, Ads, I know you think it's not tearing him apart but it is."

Adi blinked, her brows furrowing together. "I hope it does. 'Cause he made that choice. I'm don't talking about him. I don't need your pity."

"You're right." Dylan's eyes darted over her. "He did. I'm not giving you any pity, Adi, I just don't want you to hate all of us."

"Not everyone in my life has to tie into him." Adi shot back with tight lips. "At all."

Dylan nodded. "Yeah. So, when will you come hang out with us?"

Adi laughed softly, shrugging. "Soon. I've just been doing a lot of schoolwork and stuff."

Dylan hummed, not believing her. "We're all hanging out tonight. Helena is going, did she tell you about it?"

"I haven't seen her this morning." Adi clicked her tongue. "And tonight is not a good night, I have a project that I've been pushing off for weeks."

Dylan studied her momentarily. "Oh, right. Well, it was a watch party for Luke's first NHL game but..."

"Pass." Adi cut him off with an eye roll.

Dylan chuckled, sending a nod towards her as he didn't bother to finish his sentence.

ok duker playing both sides